SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ruger American is alot of rifle for the money. I recall I paid less than $200 for mine. The weak spot is the iron sights. The rear barrel-mounted leaf is not ideal. I am still lookingfor an accwptable set of irons to put on it.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Way back, when I was in High School, back in the mid 60's, just outside Chicago, We had a rifle club.
We would meet every Friday after school in the basement in the rotunda of the school. There was a rifle range down there left over from who knows when. The school had a rack of Mossberg .22, single shot rifles with quality iron sights. The stocks were VERY beefy, you knew you were handling a "real" no nonsense firearm. They were very accurate!
I feel the rifles must have been some kind of a military issue used in training.
I don't know what model those guns were but would love to pick one up, probably for a very reasonable price.

Most likely a Model 44. Prices vary wildly, the last time I looked they were in the 4-600 range. I really have no idea what one would sell for now.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
CZ first Ruger American second.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Way back, when I was in High School, back in the mid 60's, just outside Chicago, We had a rifle club.
We would meet every Friday after school in the basement in the rotunda of the school. There was a rifle range down there left over from who knows when. The school had a rack of Mossberg .22, single shot rifles with quality iron sights. The stocks were VERY beefy, you knew you were handling a "real" no nonsense firearm. They were very accurate!
I feel the rifles must have been some kind of a military issue used in training.
I don't know what model those guns were but would love to pick one up, probably for a very reasonable price.

Most likely a Model 44. Prices vary wildly, the last time I looked they were in the 4-600 range. I really have no idea what one would sell for now.

I took a look, that does seem to be the rifle I remember.
Way too expensive for a good one now. I don't see my old eyes dealing with the iron sights and there is no scope mounting unless I had one drilled and taped for a base.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why Necro a 2 year old thread? I don’t think the OP even posts here anymore? Why not start a new thread?

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Remington 514.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Why Necro a 2 year old thread? I don’t think the OP even posts here anymore? Why not start a new thread?

This thread had lots of good info in it along with a lot of replies from CZ enthusiasts.
Why drop in to a 2 yr old thread to only complain about it?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Why drop in to a 2 yr old thread to only complain about it?

A perpetual mystery.

I could be wrong, but I would think that the fact threads are no longer locked after a certain period might be a clue that reopening old ones is permitted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
What about the Tikka T1x? How does it stack up against the CZ 455/457?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ Super BRNO 2500 that is scary accurate. From what I understand it is a relatively rare rifle in the states. Besides, if I miss I can slap whatever I am aiming at with the 29” barrel. If you can get one grab it. You will not be disappointed.

The other one that I have that is super accurate is an old WWI SMLE trainer.

The other rifles mentioned here I don’t know anything about.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CZ . Mine shoots like a laser .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
What about the Tikka T1x? How does it stack up against the CZ 455/457?

I'm curious about this as well.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
curious about this as well.

Neighbor has a T1x (20" barrel) and it shoots good. He's nipping at my heels at 30, 50, and 100 yards but the CZ 457 Pro Varmint(16.5" barrel) routinely outperforms it. The CZ isn't as finicky about ammo either. I've shot mine out to 422 yards with SK Long Range and I was able to go 10/10 on a 6" plate which I think is a testament to the quality and accuracy of the CZ. I also shoot against 2 uncles (both using Anschutz), my brother (very similar setup to me) and my cousin (455 Tacticool). Whenever the Czechs come out, the Germans go hide....Honestly, if my uncles put better glass on their guns, I think they'd have a better chance of outshooting us. As far as the 3 CZ's, it's normally just a matter of who shoots better that day. We've all outshot one another with our own guns and with each others, so I think all 3 are about even as far as performance and consistency goes.

Here's an example of what accuracy looks like @ 50 yards. 3 shots each from bench except the 4th row which was 10 shots each for me and Nathan. Wind picked up and blew the target off after Nathan shot. Dan and Adam tried with 3 each but it was pretty useless to try.

Justin is me[457] , Nathan is 455 Tacticool, Dan is Anschutz, Adam is 457 Pro Varmint like myself

My setup:

CZ 457 Pro-Varmint Suppressor ready 16.5" barrel
Vortex PST II 5-25x50 Scope with EBR-4 MOA Reticle
Vortex Viper Picatinny Medium Rings
Area 419 30MOA Scope Base
Area 419 Bolt Knob
YoDave Trigger Spring
Harris 1A2-BR Bipod

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22 and two Ruger American Rimfires.

The RAR rifles are fantastic. So much that I bought two and put thermal NV on them both.

I had a CZ455 and didn't like dealing with the 5 round magazines that would only feed LR. The Rugers feed anything I cram in them. I can even mix it up. LR, CB Long, Aguila quiet, shorts. It don't care.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Besides, if I miss I can slap whatever I am aiming at with the 29” barrel.

The 22 has very little powder charge. Unlike bottle neck centerfire calibers, long barrels do not increase muzzle velocity. With most 22lr ammo, the maximum muzzle velocity is generally achieved with an 18" or so barrel. With longer barrels, the muzzle velocity decreases.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
What ammo should a guy use to get the most out of his .22, accuracy wise? We have a 452 and I am thinking about getting a CZ 457 Training rifle.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Wow, interesting this thread got brought back up. Was just thinking of what a good 22 lr would be, besides Ruger. The remington looks promising. Thanks!

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
What ammo should a guy use to get the most out of his .22, accuracy wise? We have a 452 and I am thinking about getting a CZ 457 Training rifle.

The better match ammo reduces fliers. Cheaper ammo can still produce some good groups, but then through a rounds into WTF country. Stay with subsonic ammo, unplated lead bullets. Quality match-grade ammo is hard to find now, and almost always expensive. As distance increases and the number of shots taken increases, the quality of the ammo reveals itself.

As you test ammo, understand that you generally can't switch from one type to another for a few rounds. You likely need 10-15 rounds of a new ammo before the accuracy settles down. Maybe more.

The usual suspects, in order from most expensive for each brand:

Lapua -- X-Act, Midas Plus, Center-X

Wolf -- Match Extra, Match Target

Eley -- Tenex, Match, Team, Club

RWS -- R50, Special Match, Rifle Match

SK -- Long Range Match, Standard Plus

I've shot all of the above types of ammo at one time or another, except for Lapua X-Act. All shoot well in my rifles. But each barrel is different. Beware that you can chase accuracy down a long, long rabbit hole.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:

My 452 Special trainer loves Eley Match, it's all I shoot since trying it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post