SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ruger American is alot of rifle for the money. I recall I paid less than $200 for mine. The weak spot is the iron sights. The rear barrel-mounted leaf is not ideal. I am still lookingfor an accwptable set of irons to put on it.

Posts: 2095 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Way back, when I was in High School, back in the mid 60's, just outside Chicago, We had a rifle club.
We would meet every Friday after school in the basement in the rotunda of the school. There was a rifle range down there left over from who knows when. The school had a rack of Mossberg .22, single shot rifles with quality iron sights. The stocks were VERY beefy, you knew you were handling a "real" no nonsense firearm. They were very accurate!
I feel the rifles must have been some kind of a military issue used in training.
I don't know what model those guns were but would love to pick one up, probably for a very reasonable price.

Most likely a Model 44. Prices vary wildly, the last time I looked they were in the 4-600 range. I really have no idea what one would sell for now.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1234 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
CZ first Ruger American second.

Posts: 6226 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Way back, when I was in High School, back in the mid 60's, just outside Chicago, We had a rifle club.
We would meet every Friday after school in the basement in the rotunda of the school. There was a rifle range down there left over from who knows when. The school had a rack of Mossberg .22, single shot rifles with quality iron sights. The stocks were VERY beefy, you knew you were handling a "real" no nonsense firearm. They were very accurate!
I feel the rifles must have been some kind of a military issue used in training.
I don't know what model those guns were but would love to pick one up, probably for a very reasonable price.

Most likely a Model 44. Prices vary wildly, the last time I looked they were in the 4-600 range. I really have no idea what one would sell for now.

I took a look, that does seem to be the rifle I remember.
Way too expensive for a good one now. I don't see my old eyes dealing with the iron sights and there is no scope mounting unless I had one drilled and taped for a base.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why Necro a 2 year old thread? I don’t think the OP even posts here anymore? Why not start a new thread?

Posts: 1575 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Remington 514.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5760 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Why Necro a 2 year old thread? I don’t think the OP even posts here anymore? Why not start a new thread?

This thread had lots of good info in it along with a lot of replies from CZ enthusiasts.
Why drop in to a 2 yr old thread to only complain about it?

Bruce

Every day, the New York Times carries a motto in a box on its front page. "All the News That's Fit to Print," it says. It's been saying it for decades, day in and day out. I imagine most readers of the canonical sheet have long ceased to notice this bannered and flaunted symbol of its mental furniture. I myself check every day to make sure that the bright, smug, pompous, idiotic claim is still there. Then I check to make sure that it still irritates me. If I can still exclaim, under my breath, why do they insult me and what do they take me for and what the hell is it supposed to mean unless it's as obviously complacent and conceited and censorious as it seems to be, then at least I know I still have a pulse. You may wish to choose a more rigorous mental workout but I credit this daily infusion of annoyance with extending my lifespan. -Christopher Hitchens

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 3813 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Why drop in to a 2 yr old thread to only complain about it?

A perpetual mystery.

I could be wrong, but I would think that the fact threads are no longer locked after a certain period might be a clue that reopening old ones is permitted.

“The most common reaction to a life-or-death situation is to do nothing.”
— Amanda Ripley, The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why (New York: Three Rivers Press, 2008)

Posts: 42857 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
What about the Tikka T1x? How does it stack up against the CZ 455/457?

Posts: 481 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ Super BRNO 2500 that is scary accurate. From what I understand it is a relatively rare rifle in the states. Besides, if I miss I can slap whatever I am aiming at with the 29” barrel. If you can get one grab it. You will not be disappointed.

The other one that I have that is super accurate is an old WWI SMLE trainer.

The other rifles mentioned here I don’t know anything about.

Posts: 3200 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CZ . Mine shoots like a laser .

Posts: 1887 | Location: The deep South | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post