SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Maybe old news? New SAN SG-551 14" Pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe old news? New SAN SG-551 14" Pistol Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
of course but it as originally designed, it was meant to allow sales of previously imported 551-2 SP rifles that were LE surplus.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I thought those slipped in and crimped on. Shouldn't be hard for someone to make a decent looking alternative.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
of course but it as originally designed, it was meant to allow sales of previously imported 551-2 SP rifles that were LE surplus.

Ah understood.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I thought the threading inside the FH was for the blank adapter.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Maybe someone can check the current imports tobe sure?

551-2 barrels look like this inside the built-in flash hider

Screw in an extension that gets tacked in place for 16" length

I have one of the LA Fish and Game rifles and they were built over 20 years ago. I seriously doubt that 20 years ago SwissArms said, "Hey, lets put threads inside the flash hider so that in a couple decades someone can screw on an extension and make them legal in the US."

The extension is something that Mike Otte came up with on his own just to get them off the NFA list and be able to sell to us.

I agree with 10X-Shooter. It's either for the blank adapter or for the rifle grenades (bullet trap type).

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes.....concur

posted Hide Post
The 550, 551, and 553 LB (long barrel) have integral flash hiders. There have been special limited runs in Europe with removable flash hiders in the past, but it was not a regular production item. SAN shows some of their more recent barrel options with removable flash hider. I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I seem to recall that the 553 LB is available with a removable flash hider. I have never seen a 551 short barrel (14.3" OAL, roughly 12.5" of rifled barrel) with a removable flash hider.

The internal FH threads were not put there to allow the addition of a barrel extension. Mike Otte just had the IMO ingenious idea to use the threads for a barrel extension in order to make these LE trade rifles into title-1 guns. The barrel extension is far to ugly to leave in place. The 551 short barrel needs to be SBRd.

quote:
Originally posted by mew:
I have the 9.5" and would much prefer the 14" barrel. Will have to live with the shorty I guess poor me......

Or you could buy a 551 barrel/gasblock, gas tube, piston/recoil spring, and handguards and have a gunsmith who works on SIGs convert your 553 into a 551. Also the 552/553?barrel is 8.9".

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I wasn't referring to original intent but rather why they'd be there for the US market going fwd. It makes sense to use them for an extension since we picked an arbitrary length by which to regulate vs. not regulate.

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Or you could buy a 551 barrel/gasblock, gas tube, piston/recoil spring, and handguards and have a gunsmith who works on SIGs convert your 553 into a 551. Also the 552/553?barrel is 8.9".

yeah I'm not going to throw any more into this rig I'm happy with it. the 9.5" is from the San Swiss specs here; 240mm=9.5"
http://www.swissarms.ch/en/sg-...p-pistol-version.php

Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man that is fugly!! Would it not be worth $200 to make that go away??

Yes, and exactly what I did with mine. But to be honest, engraving it hurt a little....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
true but the nature of the beast!!

Edmund Burke

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or you could buy a 551 barrel/gasblock, gas tube, piston/recoil spring, and handguards and have a gunsmith who works on SIGs convert your 553 into a 551.

Or a 550...

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I want one...but my 553 scratches the itch.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

yeah I'm not going to throw any more into this rig I'm happy with it. the 9.5" is from the San Swiss specs here; 240mm=9.5"
http://www.swissarms.ch/en/sg-...p-pistol-version.php

Oddly, SAN lists the length with the flash hider removed. Pull your flash hider and measure the barrel length - 8.9"

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Or you could buy a 551 barrel/gasblock, gas tube, piston/recoil spring, and handguards and have a gunsmith who works on SIGs convert your 553 into a 551.

Or a 550...

True! But good luck finding a 550 or Stg90/PE90 barrel. Also, and this is just me, I am just not interested in a 20" barrel 5.56.