SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Maybe old news? New SAN SG-551 14" Pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe old news? New SAN SG-551 14" Pistol Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
Maybe I live too sheltered a life but it was new news to me!

New Swiss Import SAN SG-551 5.56mm NATO 14" Pistol

It makes me wish I had the cash laying around as it would be a great addition to my 553!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes, JDI has them in for $3250. LOL at GB price scalping as if they're not available for less.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
While his buy it now price is pretty high, I wouldn't exactly call his opening price scalping, he deserves a little for his investment and $3499 isn't even 10% mark-up ... I asked my dealer to call and they aren't offering a dealer a discount ... or at least not my dealer.

IF my dealer had one in stock I'd have to pay sales tax and even at JDI's price of $3250 after tax it would be $3550 out the door ... which is more than the GB sellers opening price and there is no reserve.

Now, that being said, if I come up with $3250 I'll call JDI and just pay the shipping and $40 transfer fee from my dealer.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, what are these like to SBR?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Out of curiosity, what are these like to SBR?
IMHO, just add a stock ... others will say you need to add domestic parts for 922r, so while it would be considered blasphemy, you could add a 556 lower and you could still use a Swiss stock and that with AR mags would give you more parts than you need to be compliant.

Or if you're are asking about muzzle blast, it would be the same as an AR with a 14" barrel but without the muzzle flip ... or at least that's been my experience with the 553 compared to a 10.5" AR

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The flashhider on the GB posted rifle, appears integral to the barrel and not threaded on. Is that typical for a Swiss SAN 551?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now, that being said, if I come up with $3250 I'll call JDI and just pay the shipping and $40 transfer fee from my dealer.

there's zero point doing a cost comparison w/ tax from a local dealer on something like this when you can do just that.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
The flashhider on the GB posted rifle, appears integral to the barrel and not threaded on. Is that typical for a Swiss SAN 551?

Yes...short answer is that these are 551-2 barrels with threads inside the flash hider. This allows you to affix a permanent extension to bring it to 16" length for use as a rifle. JDI is working with SwissArms to bring the extensions over.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I got mine the other day.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:

there's zero point doing a cost comparison w/ tax from a local dealer on something like this when you can do just that.

Well, obviously I wasn't aware that JDI had them in the first place or I wouldn't have started this thread ...

quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

And that's all you got to say about it? No details?

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I have the 9.5" and would much prefer the 14" barrel. Will have to live with the shorty I guess poor me......

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
I have the 9.5" and would much prefer the 14" barrel. Will have to live with the shorty I guess poor me......

and the obligatory "pics or it didn't happen" Big Grin

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

And that's all you got to say about it? No details?

It's pretty sweet Razz

I'm planning on shooting it later today, so I'll try and get some pictures/impressions if I can. My internet has been spotty the last few days.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
I have the 9.5" and would much prefer the 14" barrel.

guess I should have said 9.5" 553 not a 551, not sure there is a difference in function or just barrel length?? awaiting stamp for SBR

Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

Yes...short answer is that these are 551-2 barrels with threads inside the flash hider. This allows you to affix a permanent extension to bring it to 16" length for use as a rifle. JDI is working with SwissArms to bring the extensions over.

Where did you find this information about the reason for the threads inside the flash hider? Just wondering why SwissArms would be concerned about someone being able to extend the barrel just to meet US laws but is actually just an extension of the flash hider, not the barrel? I know Mike Otte did it to get them off the NFA list but he fabricated those and it wasn't something from SwissArms.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I'm curious as well. The earlier answer is contradictory, the FH either is integral to the 551 barrel (there's zero gap/seam between the two with my eyes, unlike the SG551 or the 553P) or "no" it isn't and contains threads internal to the FH.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely integral to the barrel, no way to remove it. On the 551-2 SP at least....

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting, after a pin/weld you could pin a stock on and have a rifle?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone can check the current imports tobe sure?

551-2 barrels look like this inside the built-in flash hider

Screw in an extension that gets tacked in place for 16" length

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
Man that is fugly!! Would it not be worth $200 to make that go away??

Edmund Burke