SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Purchased a AR 15 and an AR10 lower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchased a AR 15 and an AR10 lower Login/Join 
posted
Going to try my first build and its driving me nuts! For my first, I would like to find the best full kit that I can. This is completely new to me. Any recommendations appreciated!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The AR10 is a lot harder (and expensive) to do right.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's what I have been researching, hoping for some guidelines. Regrets already creeping in. My wife's brother talked me into this.

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Start with the AR15.
What is you objective or plan?
Just a cheap rifle.
Everyday tool.
Accuracy gem.
The list can go on and on.
Anyone can just assemble some parts but to design with a purpose is harder but more important too.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the parts kit that is made by the same guys that built your AR-10 lower. For the AR-15, buy what has the features you like, as the lowers should all be built to the same spec. AR-10s aren't standard like 15s so it's a bit trickier to make sure everything integrates well. Keeping everything w/ the same mfr is the best bet. Thinks like triggers are interchangeable from my experience.

Building ARs isn't hard. You will need a barrel nut wrench, castle nut wrench, or a barrel/castle combo setup. A small vise is needed, and appropriate upper block or you could sandwich the upper between two pieces of wood in the vice like I do. A punch set is handy.
Screwdriver, allen wrenches, are needed.

Plenty of how-to resources on doing the build on Youtube. And once you're done, you'll know how an AR works and can reconfigure at will.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy the parts kit that is made by the same guys that built your AR-10 lower.

Good advice.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Determine your rifle types and configurations prior to buying any more parts. Develop a budget in advance. Don't buy parts because they are on sale if they don't fit with your end goals.

Consider all accessories in your budget and configurations. This includes light, bipod, optics, magazines, sling, suppressor. Determine if your primary goals are low cost, high accuracy, low weight, short length.

Determine your calibers in advance. Many AR15s are 223/5.56, but many other calibers exist. AR10 calibers are more limited -- primary options may include 308, 7mm-08, some version of 6.5mm, some version of 6mm. Understand that the recoil energy in foot-pounds from a 308 is roughly 4-5 times that of a 223. Because of this, an AR10 is more challenging to shoot accurately than an AR15.

AR15 parts are very standardized, as long as you stick with DI. AR10 parts many times are not interchangeable between brands. Your AR10 lower has pretty much determined the brand of your upper and the type of magazines.

Unless you run against legislative restriction with parts, take your time to acquire the right parts. Between Obummer administration challenges, parts availability, and budget constraints, my initial AR10 build took almost 2 years to accumulate the right parts for a reasonable cost. Due to more favorable conditions under the Trump administration, the second upper's parts were acquired in about a month, and at a slightly lower cost.

Concentrate on core items that make a difference in how your rifles will shoot, including:
- trigger brand and type -- single stage vs. two stage. A good trigger helps you extract all the accuracy your are capable of producing. Understand you are the ultimately the limiting factor in accuracy.
- barrel brand, barrel twist rate, barrel length, barrel profile, gas system length. The barrel and how its chamber is cut is the primary factor in the rifle's accuracy. This the absolute last component to scrimp on, if accuracy is a primary goal.

Secondary:
- buttstock and handguard. This is the interface to you.
- bolt carrier group

Sighting systems:
- irons, red dot, low powered variable optic, low powered fixed optic, higher powered variable scope
- this is the rifle's steering system. You can't hit what you can't see.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Buy your parts kit for the 15 from Tom's Tactical. Great people and products. USA made and great prices.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Going to try my first build and its driving me nuts! For my first, I would like to find the best full kit that I can. This is completely new to me. Any recommendations appreciated!!

What kind of shooting do you like to do, and what kind of shooting do you want to do, with the AR15?

There are a lot of configurations. Everything from a very lightweight build suitable for 10k run and gun matches, to very heavy setups that are ideal for shooting long range precision.

There are happy mediums as well, but the purpose should dictate the parts you buy.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regrets already creeping in. My wife's brother talked me into this.

Don't look at it that way.

Builds are FUN!

Don't get in a hurry. Window shopping is fun for AR parts.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purchased this for a start--PSA 16" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Mid-Length Nitride 15" Lightweight M-Lok MOE EPT Rifle Kit.

Going to see how this goes and go from there.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I was perusing PSA's "interesting" receivers ...

I found 2 I espically like and bought one of each ... think I'll use them for my "binary" AR's

and

If its not fun, what's the point!

The M16A2 is on back order as they're making a batch of Virginia Tribute receivers ... they cost $10 more but that extra $10 goes to a Virginia weapon and ammo defense fund. It has the female image from their flag holding an AR instead of a sword.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Purchased this for a start--PSA 16" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Mid-Length Nitride 15" Lightweight M-Lok MOE EPT Rifle Kit.

That should do nicely.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The only tip I have is instead of buying a vise block or risk scratching my lower, I just use an old beater mag.

The only special tool I had for my first build was an AR wrench for the castle nut. There are some great videos on YouTube that explain the by process.

They are fun to build though. I really enjoy it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, your making me feel better about this!

posted Hide Post
quote:
The only tip I have is instead of buying a vise block or risk scratching my lower, I just use an old beater mag

This is not very good guidance. You shouldn't use the mag well via a magazine for tightening the barrel nut (the key project) or flash hider.
Much better choices are...
a reaction rod I like the Geissle but the MI Upper receiver rod is a great choice and way cheaper.
or vice clamps I like the JP vice clamps (which are nice since they work on barrels that don't fit a reaction rod), also modest in cost.
There are other specialized choices but those are the two best ones.
The Magpul is also OK, cheap and available best for barrels, a bit sketchy for flash hiders.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've never tried JP's vice clamps but have used a receiver clam-shell clamp since shortly after they came out ... then I went cheap and bought a reaction rod on Amazon for about $50 ... it worked great ONE time, then bought a Geissle for about $100, its still perfect after several builds and re-builds ... but its steel! The best thing about the reaction rod is that it doesn't torque/twist the upper receiver as you're tightening down the barrel nut.

Either was is a better idea than using a mag.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
The only tip I have is instead of buying a vise block or risk scratching my lower, I just use an old beater mag

This is not very good guidance. You shouldn't use the mag well via a magazine for tightening the barrel nut (the key project) or flash hider.
FWIW>

Sorry I should have clarified I’m only talking about building lowers, not uppers. I took from the OP that was his intent but I could have misunderstood.

For building a lower an old mag in a vise has worked fantastic for me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I may have mis-understood too ... when I started building kits the upper didn't come pre-assembled like they have for quite a while now.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Buy your parts kit for the AR15 from Tom's Tactical. Great people and products. USA made and great prices.

I’ll second this...Toms Tactical is GTG...quick and free shipping...I also really like their nickel Teflon trigger groups for the price.

http://www.tomstactical.com/

For assembly stuff that has worked well for me...upper vice blocks, lower vice blocks, etc...or just use an old mag body...but I do prefer the dedicated plastic ones...

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/

If you have access to a friend that has built an AR...you might borrow what you might need...I’ve loaned my tools out several times to members at my range. One thing that makes life easier...is a 1/4” hitch pin with holes (Home Depot for a dollar or so) when used with small punch it makes installing the front pivot pin/spring less stressful Wink...a set of roll pin starter punches are good to have on hand...

The PSA upper is a good buy Smile...mid lengths rock!

Building AR15s are addictive and you learn a lot of how they function...plus you’re going to enjoy doing it Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post