SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    JP low mass carrier? Edit: Now for the buffer assembly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP low mass carrier? Edit: Now for the buffer assembly? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m slowly piecing together an AR15 for the wife and I’m interested in the low mass carrier and recoil characteristics.

This is not a high end build but an entry level AR for local shoots. Really a fun project gun, I’ll be using a Spikes Snowflake lower and Spikes upper with a 16” mid length gas barrel, ALG purple MLOK handguard, something like an ALG Sidewinder brake, MagPul stock and grip and finish with an ALG ACT trigger. Sight to be determined but probably a Steiner PX4i 1-4 scope.

Edit: I’ve got 90% of the parts and figured out the BCG and gas block but now I need to find the right buffer assembly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I’m slowly piecing together an AR15 for the wife and I’m interested in the low mass carrier and recoil characteristics.

This is not a high end build but an entry level AR for local shoots. Really a fun project gun, I’ll be using a Spikes Snowflake lower and Spikes upper with a 16” mid length gas barrel, ALG purple MLOK handguard, something like an ALG Sidewinder brake, MagPul stock and grip and finish with an ALG ACT trigger. Sight to be determined but probably a Steiner PX4i 1-4 scope.

I currently have two, and if price were no object I would have a JP carrier in every AR-15 that I own.

Paired with a good muzzle brake, a properly tuned rifle with a JP carrier is dramatically more pleasant to shoot, and EASY to shoot, than a standard AR-15.

Many off the shelf rifles come with overly large gas ports. This is to guarantee reliability with the wide assortment of ammunition on the market today.

This also results in many rifles being overgassed with decent ammunition. Much of the perceived recoil of an AR-15 is the bolt carrier/buffer slamming into the rear of the receiver extension.

The machining on both of my JP carriers is exceptional. They are so slick they feel like they are made out of glass. None of the sharp edges and rough surfaces of a standard phospate carrier.

The carrier in my 3-gun rifle has thousands of rounds on it, with no discernable wear on any of the bearing surfaces. Absolutely get the QPQ finish, not naked stainless.

I just finished a build for PRS Gas Gun and used a JP carrier. Less than 100 rounds through it, but while I was tuning the gas system, I was able to watch my bullet impact steel.

A few things to keep in mind.

It is part of a system. You really need to pair it with an adjustable gas block. I would recommend the JP. It is click adjustable with captive detents so it CAN be disassembled to be cleaned if necessary.

You will lose most of the effectiveness of the JP carrier if you can't tune the gas port to your ammunition. It really is essential.

Another part of the system is the buffer. It is counterproductive to pair a low mass carrier with a heavy buffer. You may chuckle at that but I have seen it done by people who really didn't put a lot of thought into how the whole system works. You don't have to buy the JP silent captive spring, although it is nice. Just use a standard carbine buffer, and if you want to play with it even further you can experiment with removing weights from it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Even if it as you describe, and not a high end build.... You will NOT regret the recoil characteristics if you take the plunge and a JP LMOS carrier and adjustable gas block.

I don't have any experience with the sidewinder brake. And ALG/Geissele absolutely makes great stuff, but take a look at some of the muzzle brake side by side reviews out there. I'm not saying don't buy the sidewinder, but explore all your options.

Some are WAY more concussive than others, and some can reduce recoil by ~70%. There is usually a happy medium out there somewhere depending on what you are looking for.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
dramatically more pleasant to shoot,

Yeah as you mention above, I'd sort of have to disagree with that. I have race guns that don't move when they go off, but the comps make them distinctly unpleasant to shoot. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
dramatically more pleasant to shoot,

Yeah as you mention above, I'd sort of have to disagree with that. I have race guns that don't move when they go off, but the comps make them distinctly unpleasant to shoot. Big Grin

Big Grin

I guess I should have clarified that better.

Lots of comps are very loud. Some are worse than others.

Pleasant in terms of the rifle having negligible movement during firing, and being able to watch your bullet hit the steel. Cool

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I saw your last build post and that got me looking.

I will of course use adjustable gas block but hadn’t thought of the buffer. I’m not set on a muzzle break as though I’d like to make the gun recoil flatter, I don’t want to be overly loud.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw your last build post and that got me looking.

I will of course use adjustable gas block but hadn’t thought of the buffer. I’m not set on a muzzle break as though I’d like to make the gun recoil flatter, I don’t want to be overly loud.

On my most recent build I used a Cross Machine and Tool comp. Had some buddies out to shoot and the CMT comp was MUCH less snappy and obnoxious to the ears than my buddies rifle with a JP Cooley Comp.

If you are looking for good characteristics without excessive noise I think you would be happy with it. I was still watching my bullets hit steel at 200-500 yards.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
https://www.cmttac.com/index.p...th=94&product_id=153

This is the one.

Mine was a prize table pickup in untreated stainless. If I were buying one I would get the nitride version.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Brownells has that brake for a better price so that’s good.

I need a low profile gas block, preferably to fit under an ALG rail. ALG because it’s a smooth and it’s available in Purple for my wife.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
<SNIP>

I’ll be using a Spikes Snowflake lower

<SNIP>

I bought one of these for my Ares Defense Belt fed for when we're set up at a show ...
This is so much less scary

than this;

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Do the JP Gas blocks fit under most handguards?

Rifle parts:
Spikes lower and upper
MagPul MOE stock/grip
PSA 16” mid length gas barrel
ALG Defense ACT Trigger

Needing a gas block, hanguard, BCG and buffer. I’ll shoot it before I decide on a muzzle brake, but probably the CCT posted earlier.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You need to check the sizes of the low profile ones and what you want to put it under.

The railed one's obviously won't.

Railed JP on the left.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
JP low mass carrier?

To me JP BOLTS are the real gems.
The carrier is just along for the ride, use whatever matches or is required for your shooting conditions.
Being low mass may or may not be beneficial.
But LOVE JP Enterprise stuff > just about all of it! Smile

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Which buffer assembly do I need? I see JP makes a couple.

I’ll probably order the complete JP BCG with Bolt, but I’m not set on that. I bought an ALG Defense 12” hand guard and it fits the 16” barrel nicely. Though I’d probably use an 18” if I didn’t already have this one.

I’ll also be playing with factory ammo until I get the stuff to load the LC Brass I have.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Waiting impatiently for my JP BCG, buffer setup and low profile gas block from Brownells. They seemed to have goofed this time.

I got the barrel nut torqued down after a bunch of trial and error with the shims. The ALG wrench marks weren’t working for my set up.

Setup the Leupold VX-5 1-5x24mm in the Leupold mount and fit up the hand guard to check feel.