SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Ranch-30" - New 7.62x39 Ruger American Ranch Rifle using Mini-30 magazines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ranch-30" - New 7.62x39 Ruger American Ranch Rifle using Mini-30 magazines Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Ruger just announced a new variation of their American Ranch Rifle. This one's chambered in 7.62x39, and uses magazines from the Mini-30 rifle rather than the proprietary Ruger American magazines.

With a 16" barrel and detachable 5/10/20 round magazines, this could be a inexpensive alternative to the CZ 527 Carbine, and would be a decent choice for someone looking for a centerfire bolt action for cheap plinking or a shorter-range hog or deer hunting rifle.

http://www.ruger.com/products/...pecSheets/16976.html

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The big question is will they do the mini 14 mags for 5.56 and 300blk ranch rifles.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There's a cheap one of those on GB right now, if anyone would like to take a flyer. (No, no connection to Ruger or the seller.) I've got a couple of personal hangups getting in the way - I hate that safety tab in the face of the trigger and I have no reason to not want a longer barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a great little rifle, though.

ETA: Just looked at the specs. Cold hammer forged rifling? This really could turn out to be a neat little rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm getting one

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
The big question is will they do the mini 14 mags for 5.56 and 300blk ranch rifles.

It seems so obvious doesn't it?

I already have a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 and it's a blast. I looked at the Howa mini-action in 7.62x39 but decided I didn't need to stock another caliber. But now, with those magazine options, hmmm...

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have one of these in 300 BO and it is a lot of fun for the money.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems so obvious doesn't it?

Yep. If you've got the magazines and the ammo anyway, why wouldn't you pick up a Mini-14? Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been planning to buy a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. But this has me seriously tempted.

Looks like I could get one of these, plus a Timney drop-in trigger, plus 3 or 4 Mini-30 magazines, all for the price of the CZ 527.

Decisions, decisions...

I love the look, feel, and quality of the CZ. But this would seem to be a better option for a "working gun" over the fancier CZ. I wouldn't feel bad about it getting drug through the woods and covered in mud on an ATV.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've been planning to buy a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. But this has me seriously tempted.

Looks like I could get one of these, plus a Timney drop-in trigger, plus 3 or 4 Mini-30 magazines, all for the price of the CZ 527.

Decisions, decisions...

I love the look, feel, and quality of the CZ. But this would seem to be a better option for a "working gun" over the fancier CZ. I wouldn't feel bad about it getting drug through the woods and covered in mud on an ATV.

The CZ has iron sights also IIRC if that matters to you.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, not to give you a ration of flack, but why wouldn't you be willing to drag a 527 through the woods and get it covered in mud on an ATV? A rifle that's "too purty" to take into the field isn't really worth having, and the marks of actual use give a rifle character. To see it otherwise is to condemn yourself to a life of mostly shooting cheap, ugly rifles.

Of course, I say that. I guess I oughtta wait until we find out how the Ruger shoots.

posted Hide Post
Ok... I have been looking at the bolt Ranch rifles for a while now and after an ammo price check, it looks like 7.62 X39 is the one for me.
Question:
Is there, or does anyone know of, a suitable set of iron sights that could adapt to this guns rail?
Be nice to have a quickly attachable set of sights in case of scope damage.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ok... I have been looking at the bolt Ranch rifles for a while now and after an ammo price check, it looks like 7.62 X39 is the one for me.
Question:
Is there, or does anyone know of, a suitable set of iron sights that could adapt to this guns rail?
Be nice to have a quickly attachable set of sights in case of scope damage.

Unlikely, unless you weld a front sight onto the barrel. Iron sights are pushing me towards the CZ.

As for those wanting a Mini14 magazine Ruger American, so do I. The more double stack bolt actions the merrier, IMO.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't fathom why a 5.56 rifle with mini14 mags is attractive. I'd vote ar mags all day long

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of the Howa or CZ. This would be a better bet. The one thing I don't like about the centerfire Ruger American Rifles (given the price point) is the magazine. Using Mini-30 magazines eliminates that weak point.

It has a threaded barrel. Any way to work up a back up front sight that could be part of a thread protector?

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Timing might wind up being kind of a trick.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If only it came in left handed...

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
And the barrel is threaded my suppressor likes this

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This should be a nice budget pig/deer/varmint gun.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, I already own the CZ 527 and wouldn't mind owning one of these for a nice truck piece. The wood on the CZ is pretty, don't really want to ding it up. I also already have the Mini-30 tactical, so mags are no problem.

What would everyone be thinking for an optic?

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
What would everyone be thinking for an optic?

A relatively lightweight and compact 1-4x with illuminated reticle would be ideal. Something like a Leupold VX-R.

Or, considering that nearly all of my hog hunting is done at sub-100 yard ranges, maybe even just a red dot.