SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Polymer 80 machining questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polymer 80 machining questions. Login/Join 
posted
I decided to machine on of the Polymer 80 AR kits for the fun of it. I have a drill press and vise and I have downloaded the instructions from their site. Any advice would be appreciated. I also found some information on YouTube. This one is amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yf4apK_hZE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BillF,

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I haven't just because lowers are so cheap.

I might do one of their Pistol lowers at some point.

Side note: That guy in the video is an idiot. Videos about running from the cops and going to court. Then manufacturing firearms.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[
Side note: That guy in the video is an idiot. Videos about running from the cops and going to court. Then manufacturing firearms.[/QUOTE]

I expect he will be a guest star on Cops at some point. It was interesting watching him finish the lower with rudimentary tools.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly your question but I've done a few al lowers and some of the P80 pistol kits. The directions seem pretty darn good. The only real tip I have is to have a real deal part handy to measure and compare. it really helps to be able to visualize and compare as you do things. And you will absolutely need a way to measure depths. I used a digital caliper, but a depth gauge would work fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depth gauge, I need to get one of those. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Digital calipers are way more useful for other things in real life and can do what you need on this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Digital calipers are way more useful for other things in real life and can do what you need on this.

Yup. Like being used as a depth gauge. Using one in that fashion one was eye opening to me.

Whoa. Neat!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I bought some for the 1911 %80 I did. Cutting rails & desking stainless steel is a way worse to screw up. I've gotten them out for several projects. Super useful to have around the house.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will follow the recommendations and use digital calipers.