SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M4 Sling help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M4 Sling help Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
As some or most might know that wonderful man 12131 gave me a BCM M4 after my cousin/neighbor was killed in a drive by shooting.

I've been looking on BCM website for a sling and seems like the ones I might like are out of stock.
So what are your opinions on what to get and where? I liked the looks of the Vicker's slings.

I think I want one that holds the weapon in front of my body.

I might need to wear it to check the damn mail or take the garbage cans out.

We have had 3 men murdered by drive by and 1 injured. All white males with some type of facial hair and about 45-66. I'm in that range and the facial hair.

Thanks

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a quick adjust 2 pt sling as opposed to a single point or 3pt. I have a padded Vtac, a Gear Sector, and a Blue force gear one. Can't really say which one I like best, they all basically work the same.

https://dsgarms.com/viking-tac...added-sling-vtac-mk2

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
^^^
Though I've never used a three point, I agree. One point appears simple, but allows the rifle to swing around quite a bit if you're moving without at least one hand on your rifle. I use the VTAC that Strambo linked. Comfortable and easy to adjust.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VCAS or VTAC, I own both and I like both. Brownells, SKD tactical, OP tactical, etc all carry them. Topgun supply has the Blue Force Victory (VCAS) in stock for $40, link.I own one and it's a good sling. How are you planning to attach the sling to the rife? The attachment mechanism is something you don't want to scrimp on.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
VCAS or VTAC, I own both and I like both. Brownells, SKD tactical, OP tactical, etc all carry them. Topgun supply has the Blue Force Victory (VCAS) in stock for $40, link.I own one and it's a good sling. How are you planning to attach the sling to the rife? The attachment mechanism is something you don't want to scrimp on.

I was looking at this when you posted. What do you think about it? BCM

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have the VCAS and the Vickers 221. I thought having the option to go from 2pt to 1pt would be nice but I dont recall ever using it in a 1pt configuration. Im still trying out differnt slings but so far these 2 have stuck around the longest.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear VCAS. I own 9 of these slings. More expensive than the Magpul MS-1 and when you handle both slings, you'll know why the VCAS is 45 bucks and worth it.

If you just want an adjustable sling, get the Magpul. If you want the best, get a VCAS.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Also, sounds like this might be needed as well:
https://www.safeguardarmor.com/stealth-2271/

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Blue Force Gear VCAS. I own 9 of these slings. More expensive than the Magpul MS-1 and when you handle both slings, you'll know why the VCAS is 45 bucks and worth it.

This. I have nine Blue Force Gear VCAS slings as well. It's the only sling I'll use on a modern defensive rifle.

Specifically regarding the Viking Tactics VTAC sling mentioned by a few other posters, it's a similar design, but in my opinion it isn't quite as well made as the BFG VCAS, and the adjustment slider isn't as easy to use. Get the BFG VCAS instead.

quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
What do you think about it? BCM

I have those on a couple of my Keymod ARs. It's definitely a quality item, and one of the better choices for a Keymod QD socket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

I was looking at this when you posted. What do you think about it? BCM

Interestingly enough, I've got one of those. Read the instructions for the install. If it comes with blue Loctite, use it once you figure out where you want the front of the sling anchored. I like put it right in front of the receiver, but it's personal preference. You'll also need a pair of QD sling swivels to go with it.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the info. It's been busy in this area yesterday and today they caught the SOB that killed my cousin and the other two men and injured another.

The story

posted Hide Post
Great news about them catching the person responsible for these terrible events. I hope you can gain some peace of mind from that.

As for slings, I've had good luck with Specter Gear, especially their newer Raptor line. It's a little slimmer than the standard, which are pretty heavy. I have one of the heavy ones for my shotgun, and it works well.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread was about slings

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Vickers Padded Sling (VCAS).

I have VTAC and Magpul slings as well, but my hands-down favorite is the Vickers.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have always liked two point slings. I've made my own that are similar to the ones in RogueJSK's photos.

And I am glad to hear the murderer was caught.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the Vickers slings, but I consider the ability to quickly and easily change the length of the sling to be very important if one might ever have to switch shoulders in a class or for real. An earlier version of the Magpul sling had a fabric adjustment tab that looked similar to the one on the Vickers, and it didn’t work all that well. As I recall, lengthening the sling was easy, but shortening it back up wasn’t. The current Magpul plastic length adjustment slider, however, works great both ways and I’d have no hesitation in buying another if I needed another sling.

My vote for general carry and use is for a two-point sling (although one version of the Magpul is easily configured for one- or two-point). One-point slings are more convenient, IMO, when wearing a bulky tactical vest with armor and lots of pouches and stuff, and the user wants to avoid running straps over certain gear, but not nearly as good otherwise.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I do not know if they are the best but, I have really gotten used to the Magpul MS3 slings and now just buy them out of habit.
That info and 5 bucks will get you a bus ride downtown.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of my favorites were a Troy and a Gear Sector. My last school that I went to I spent 3 10 hour days with my rifle hanging around my neck. I had a major headache from day 2 on. I switched to a padded Vickers and liked it so much I replaced all of my other rifle sling with them. All of my slings were comfortable for an hour or so. The Vickers is comfortable all day long. They are a bit pricey but if you are going to spend any time with it, you will be glad you spent the extra bucks.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use the standard military sling...it's got a cool doo-dat that you can pull and then slid or tighten the sling....

I tried a cool, high speed, low drag, single point attachment until I had to climb a fence one night and the rifle smacked me in the jewels...

Went back to military slings the next day.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I used to buy Blue Force Gear slings until I discovered Savvy Sniper. That’s all I buy now. They are silky smooth.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post