SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Why is the FN SCAR-17 especially ' hard on optics' ... ?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is the FN SCAR-17 especially ' hard on optics' ... ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As I noted above I've mounted and tested a bunch of different options. How many rounds do you think something has to survive to be 'OK'?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
How many rounds do you think something has to survive to be 'OK'?
All of them

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Sexy.

FYI the AccuPower 1-8 in Bobro medium extended mount weighs 2 lbs 5 3/8 oz on my scale, or 1.06 KG. Doesn’t seem too bad holding it in my hands, but we’ll see how it feels on the rifle.

To me the sweet spot weight of optic / mount on the SCARs is no more than 28-30ish oz. I used an IOR 1.5-8x in an ADM mount for a year, which was 34+ oz and gave the rifle a top heavy feeling when shooting dynamically. I used a Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR for a short time and loved the light weight of that combo which was about 17 oz total; but the 1.5 low and overall clarity was 'meh'.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried a lot of things on a SCAR with the idea to have a 'one and done' rifle. good both short distances(CQB) and long. You can see the list I've tried in my post above about what I know survives (at least while I used them). But the best of everything I've tried is the the NF ATACR 1-8 in a bobro right side scar mount. That's 30oz approx.
Has been fine for lots of rounds.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread, w/ good information

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think I've seen it listed so I'll add my Burris XTR II 1.5-8 in an ADM Delta has been holding up for a few years now on my 17.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post