SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MPX Broken Piston (Tappet) and Stuck Gas Ring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX Broken Piston (Tappet) and Stuck Gas Ring Login/Join 
Picture of Smokey99
posted
After about 6,000 rounds my Piston (Tappet) broke. The Gas Plug came out without a problem. Removed broken piston without problem. The PROBLEM is trying to get the Gas Ring (spiral McFarland?) off the Plug - it is carbon caked in place. Could not get the dental pick to grab the end. Started soaking it in Stihl Carbon Remover. Any of you have experience with the removal that could help? Thanks!

"Son, always take your paper to the woods" - my dad
NRA Endowment Life Member
3 Gun, PCC, IDPA, Bullseye Shooter

Posts: 315 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
on (Tappet) broke. The Gas Plug came out without a problem. Removed broken piston without problem. The PROBLEM is trying to get the Gas Ring (spiral McFarland?) off the Plug - it is carbon caked in place. Could not get the dental pick to grab the end. Started soaking it in Stihl Carbon Remover. Any of you have experience with the removal that could help? Thanks!

Try here.

https://inleadwetrust.com/prod...egory/parts-for-mpx/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
I have already bought replacement Tappet and Gas Rings from them - need to get old rings off plug.

Posts: 315 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
carefully use the cutoff wheel on your dremel to cut through the wheel if all else fails. I have had to do it many times

Posts: 29 | Location: Missouri | Registered: January 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
Great news! The Stihl Carbon Remover worked! Was able to lift out the end of the gas ring easily with a dental pick!!

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
How many rounds do you have through it?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
9,500 plus or minus 100. I originally said 6,000 but that was just for a different part.