SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Another lovely old Ruger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another lovely old Ruger Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted
Walked into our big local mega-gunstore yesterday to look through their used rifles and walked out with this lovely M77 .257 Roberts.

I've been intrigued by the round for awhile and this one was priced very fairly, and came with an old Weaver K12-1 MicroTrac.

Alas, my brother in law has been looking for a deer rifle so this will probably be flipped to him but I'm enjoying owning it for awhile. Going to shoot it, along with my new 7x57, this weekend.

I took the K12 off (fixed 12 power is not ideal for Georgia whitetails) and threw on another scope I had laying around for the time being. Might test the market for the Weaver.

I'm sorta addicted to these old Rugers.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was in a local gunshop just over two years ago, thinking about putting a shotgun on consignment. They had an older M-77 on the rack, 284 Win, dated to 1970, a ‘flat-bolt’.

I left it in the back of my mind, 5 months later it was still there. I guess, who would want a boring bolt action in an almost obsolete chambering?

I tended an offer, we met somewhere in the middle. The gun is minty, deep bluing, rings and iron sights, plus ammo & empties included. Not that I needed another deer/big game rifle, already have & reload for another 284.

I figured I should have another in the same chambering.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The bluing is a work of art. Looks like a Steinway piano.

Local classifieds had a 280 Express recently that gave me hives I wanted it so bad.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I had (I sadly let her go) Ruger 77 in .250 Savage...it replaced my Savage 99CD with reloading/headspace issues...love those older Ruger 77 rifles...257 Roberts is far from dead Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a first generation 77 in .270. It's accurate, great trigger and the blueing is a work of art.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. If they had put nicer wood in those rifles it would have just been unfair to other manufacturers... nobody would have bought anything else.

Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful lovely old Ruger rifle!

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Oooh, very nice. I've got one in .280 and it's perfect. Short, finely balanced, packable, what else could one want?

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post