SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Removing a Pinned Front A2 Sight from a NIB DDM4V3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a Pinned Front A2 Sight from a NIB DDM4V3 Login/Join 
posted
Hello Members,

As the title states I have a new, unfired Daniel Defense, V3, manufactured around 2013. I am considering removing the front A2 Sight, and installing a low-power 1-4x scope. I don't want to see the top of the A2 Sight through the scope. In the event I need an iron sight, I could use offset sights.

Is removing the fixed/pinned sight a good idea from a Daniel Defense, even one from 2013? It's just a couple of taps on the pins, to remove them and then the sight, but will this "ruin" or otherwise negatively affect the rifle as a modification?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by astraightshooter:
Is removing the fixed/pinned sight a good idea from a Daniel Defense, even one from 2013? It's just a couple of taps on the pins, to remove them and then the sight, but will this "ruin" or otherwise negatively affect the rifle as a modification?

It's not a good idea.

Just buy a new bbl that has not been A2'd.

If the bbl has never been shot, DD bbls are CHF, & chrome-lined can be worth quite a bit, at least enough to trade for a decent replacement bbl.

Those two little taper pins can either come out really easy or be a huge pain to remove (some have to be drilled out). Can't know until you try.

Also, you will need a long gas block to cover the unfinished portions of your bbl.

These days, you're better off getting a new bbl and gas block.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'd probably do what LLD recommends. Part it out and grab a Faxon or other quality barrel.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
An alternative, you might try mounting up the scope and seeing how it looks with the A2 sight in place. I know you said you don't want to see it, but I'd bet at 3-4x you won't, 1-2x would be noticeable, but not so much that you couldn't live with it. The added benefit is it costs you nothing to try and you can always go through with the barrel replacement if you're not happy with the results.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
What SigM4 suggested...or...

Just add your choice of gas block...

https://www.joeboboutfitters.c.../fax-15a58m16nsq.htm

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to modify the A2 sight into a low profile gas block (remove, cut, contour, blue and reinstall); makes for a very solid mount.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When looking through a 4X ACOG you never notice the front sight. Not sure about lower powers.

Best bet as mentioned would be to sell the barrel and buy another or send it to ADCO or somewhere and have it chopped. I personally prefer chopped also as they are super solid.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
A properly cut down FSB can look pretty good:

(not my photo)

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I've removed one front sight off an AR barrel. It was a PSA 6.8. I wanted a free float barrel to increase the accuracy. Not easy unless you have a bench block. The bench block holds the barrel in place while you drive out the pins. It's also labeled so you know which side to drive out the pins. The size on my groups on that rifle improved too.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...block-prod20727.aspx

Used a gas block like this one to cover up the holes in the barrel after the A2 sight was removed:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...diameter-steel-matte

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Members,

Thank you very much to all who shared their advice and opinions! As a member of this forum, I am always impressed with both the responsiveness, and the depth of knowledge and expertise that members possess!

I forgot to mention that the 1-4x scope is a Steiner P4Xi.

As SigM4, Bisleyblackhawk and mbinky suggested I mounted the scope and the front sight does disappear when the magnification is 2x or greater.

Yesterday I went to a local range and used the 100yd rifle section to put the scope and rifle to the test. I was very impressed, that after a few minor zeroing adjustments, and even with Wolf Gold 55 grain, I had three-shot groups at 50yd and 65yd averaging about 1.5 inches.

I still may modify the A2 sight, and like the idea of chopping the height down, especially since ADCO apparently does this for less than $40.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Mmm... dunno. I've done it twice with no problems at all.

What you don't want to try and do is put some other type pinned sight on in it's place.
A clamp/bolt on gas block would be the way to go.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Zero effect on shooting or the new gas block holding firm.
I liked the magpul slim handguard so much I kept it vs free floating it.
But I may do that later.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post