SIGforum
Disappointed with current choices for traditional hunting scopes.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4180067364

December 02, 2019, 05:52 AM
sourdough44
Disappointed with current choices for traditional hunting scopes.
https://www.classicfirearms.co...-12-44-zbr1-reticle/

Here’s a good deal on a Zeiss.
December 02, 2019, 09:11 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
Not an expert, but a guy interested in nanotech advancements. You might want to look into GRIN technology to glimpse what may lie in the future.

Thanks. I'm going to start a new thread about scopesight technology of the future rather than divert this one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 02, 2019, 07:15 PM
Hamden106
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
So I guess Y'all are going to make fun of me over my BalVar 8 scope on the very early prewar M70 in the obsolete caliber of .30-06? Still works. No not bright and as clear as the other new scopes.

r you are so modern there. I need to catch up, and upgrade my M70 270 and Lyman "Fixed" Alaskan in Leupold Adjusto Mounts.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
December 04, 2019, 06:26 AM
redlickranch
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’m surprised leupold doesnt have anything nice in gloss.

When I was at the NRA show the Leupold Rep said the gloss didn't sell so they are all matte finish now. The quality in the glass and coatings is much better than 10 or 20 years ago.

I remember back when Tasco scopes were made in Japan, they were nice optics.

I still have one Charles Daly scopes that use to have an over the counter warranty. I think Simmons bought them out because when one of my CD went bad they sent me a Simmons.

NRA Life Member

December 04, 2019, 08:19 AM
NikonUser
The way I see it is that anyone who is pining for the scopes of yesteryear is also the person who had a CRT for a computer monitor and a 32 inch 80 pound tube TV in his living room on which he watches his VHS tapes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,
December 04, 2019, 08:35 AM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
So I guess Y'all are going to make fun of me over my BalVar 8 scope on the very early prewar M70 in the obsolete caliber of .30-06? Still works. No not bright and as clear as the other new scopes.

r you are so modern there. I need to catch up, and upgrade my M70 270 and Lyman "Fixed" Alaskan in Leupold Adjusto Mounts.

newcomers,,,,, Big Grin

I still have a handful of Unertl's and Lyman Spots (spot, target, and super target's)

I jury rigged a carry handle mount for a short 6x Unertl years ago to use when working on handloads ,,,

back to the OT,

if you do find a decent price on a Redfield or Weaver that has issues, Ironsight does a fantastic job refurbing them,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

December 04, 2019, 10:39 AM
alteon180e
not glossy or a common name but swfa makes, what i consider a good hunting option:
swfa ultralight
having a 30mm tube and a 35mm bell, makes a pretty good option to mount very low. 2.5-10x is a good overall range.
have one on older cz and feel it is a good fit. under 10oz is a bonus.
December 04, 2019, 05:04 PM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

I jury rigged a carry handle mount

OT here...If you watch the show "Alaska, the last frontier" the one bitchy wife uses her scope as the carry handle. I always cringe when I see her do that, but its no worse than her off hand shooting at 200 or so yards. Frown Guess keeping the scope on target isn't that hard when you can snap off a shot at that range and drop the black bear. Or maybe not. So I watch the rerun when I can see the muzzle wavering all over the mountain, but the method must work because the bear drops in its tracks.

Unhappy ammo seeker
December 04, 2019, 06:14 PM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
The way I see it is that anyone who is pining for the scpoes of yesteryear is also the person who had a CRT for a computer monitor and a 32 inch 80 pound tube TV in his living room on which he watches his VHS tapes.

Never said I was looking for a scope from yesteryear. I just want a traditionally styled scope. I want a good scope, but I don't want an ugly one. Imagine if everything dispensed with beauty and was purely utilitarian. Everyone would have an ugly wife.

December 05, 2019, 09:57 PM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Everyone would have an ugly wife.

But can she cook?

Unhappy ammo seeker
December 09, 2019, 01:58 PM
pulicords
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I think the scopes we have today are infinitely better than even a decade ago, let alone 2 decades ago. The glass alone is worth leaving glossy finishes behind.

I don’t think it has anything to do with AR’s. I think it’s simply evolution. Illuminated reticles are fantastic for hunting and my preference by mile. A knob for illumination doesn’t bother me at all.

As for gloss vs matte...cycles man. Gloss will be back in style in the future.

My deer rifle has a Vortex PST Gen 2 2-10 FFP on it and I wouldn’t even consider changing it out for anything you mentioned.

This /\/\/\/\ I've been using Leupold VXR or similar (illuminated dot/reticle) scopes for several years now. Much game is only visible early in the morning or very late in the afternoon when light conditions are less than ideal. Having a scope that doesn't fog up, is resistant to shock (such as when I dropped my rifle on ground while exited a truck once), and has a reticle that contrasts with the subdued/dark animal that you're attempting to take is a good thing. I'm not entering the debate about the distances hunters are able to take game now (due to evolution of scope quality and ranging abilities), but I think these improvements also reduce the number of wounded and lost game, while enabling hunters to make quick/humane kills at reasonable distances.

I took this moose in Alberta (Canada) a few weeks ago using a "traditional" Remington Model 700 Classic (bolt action) in .35 Whelen at 271 yards, using a Leupold VXR 3-9x scope with a "Firedot" reticle. Not a great distance as rifle shots go these days, but that bright red dot certainly was more visible on the animal than the bare black cross-hairs would have been. I'm quite satisfied that I harvested the bull with a quick kill, especially after having heard stories of poorly hit animals that large which were never recovered.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."