SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any Rimfire Rifle Steel Plate Shooters - I have a red dot optic question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Rimfire Rifle Steel Plate Shooters - I have a red dot optic question Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a Ruger Target Lite 10/22 Rifle in a trade and I want to put a good quality Red Dot on it for shooting steel plates. I see quite a few videos on line where shooters are using a C-More system.

Wanted to ask two questions please for those who shoot rimfire steel using an optic....

1- What optic do you recommend?
2- What MOA do you recommend for shooting steel plates on the 8 official courses?

Thanks for any/all comments and feedback...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cmore's have been popular on the open race guns for quite awhile. I tried them but never liked them. But in any case I am unclear on what sport you are asking about? Steel challenge?
If that's the case I am partial to the RMR's and I find that the RMR07 is the best solution for those distances.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10967 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hrcjon - Sorry Sir.... Yes Steel Challenge shooting...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steel challenge is speed and big targets. In RMR's the 07 dot is the best choice. I'd look in the 6-8 MOA for somebody else.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10967 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use a Vortex Venom 3MOA. I’m now shopping for an upgrade. The 3MOA isn’t big enough and it doesn’t go bright enough in full sun. 6-8MOA seems to be better. Oddly, I had better luck with an Aimpoint PRO even with the 2MOA dot, probably as it’s just better in sun.

I’m looking at a CMore, RMR or Delta Point Pro.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I have not used a RMR style red dot on a rifle. However, I have been using a red dot type of sight on several of my (including three different .22 LR) rifles for quite some time.
I’ve run Bushnell TRS-25, Bushnell Trophy 1X28 mm multi-reticle tube type sights, Vortex SPARC, SPARC II, Burris AR prism sights (good but way too heavy).

I have a different experience to Riley with the Vortex Venom.
I run a (3 moa) Vortex Venom on both the pistols that I use at my club’s weekly steel shoots.
I run them on a Canik TP9SFX and an S&W Victory.
Most of our matches start at about 4:00 pm on weekdays and so we often end up shooting almost directly into the setting sun.
When set to the auto-brightness mode, the Venoms are more than bright enough and the dots are more than adequate, for me. In fact, for some of the long shots on small plates, I would NOT want a bigger dot.

I’ve looked at the CMore, Leupold Delta Point and the Trijicon RMR. For this particular use, I find the Venom just about perfect. None of the other sights can do anything significantly better that the Venom in this application (except cost more). The CMore’s are huge on a pistol but would probably work fine on a rifle.
Maybe its just that I have become accustomed to using the Venom.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I run Burris FF3's on my Carry Optic M&P Core and on a Browning Buckmark. Both are the 8 MOA version. Both are holding up fine. I just put a fairly inexpensive RDS on a Ruger Charger...it lasted less then 20 rounds. Long range shots are no problem, the dot does not really 'cover' 8" at 1oo yds.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how much abuse it can take, but I recently purchased an Ultradot. Not very expensive, comes with rings and a polarizing filter, and the main reason I bought it was that it's very light.

I bought the 4moa 30mm tube version, but they make one with an adjustable dot from 2-8moa.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried many options for steel challenge type shooting and still keep coming back to the classic C-more. They may seem flimsy but they are surprisingly durable and once zeroed are solid. Battery life is not so good, but batteries are cheap. Dot preference is a personal choice, I like a smaller dot, but you can always crank up the power and the small dot becomes a blazing sun of steel punishing death.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I'm not sure how much abuse it can take, but I recently purchased an Ultradot. Not very expensive, comes with rings and a polarizing filter.

Ultra/Matchdot's rule the bullseye pistol world. I have a few that are ten years old and have seen 10k rounds or more without failure. 22lr on a rifle isn't going to hurt it.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never been much of an optics guy and just to
Try it bought one of those cheap Chinese browning branded reflexes for about 50 bucks and tossed it on my 15/22. What an eye opener! I was doing 5 runs under 3 seconds per run and some hitting 2 seconds. If speed is your thing they do help. I will say I am not more accurate ( with irons my shots were almost always dead center) But in steel challenge a hit is a hit. You basically swing the rifle like a shot gun and crunch the trigger once the dot is no target

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post