SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Wow Red Dot On Airgun Really Exacerbates Astigmatism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow Red Dot On Airgun Really Exacerbates Astigmatism Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have Aimpoints on several things. I don't have a problem with them because they are not meant for precision. They are meant for close range to say 75-100 yards fast acquisition for me. Basically they are all MOA for me....(Minute of Asshole) and dot/star/slash doesn't really matter in this regard.

I recently put a red on an air rifle for giggles. I tend to shoot my air rifles for accuracy and WOW trying to use a red dot, for precision, with my eyes.....I mean I can do it but its hard. My astigmatism really makes itself known doing this.

I just found it interesting that I have run red dots on firearms for a LONG time and they work find for my purposes, so I never really paid much attention to the red dot/astigmatism thing. I totally get it now.

Just thought I would share.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Mount a fully co-witnessed small aperture sight behind your red dot sight; perhaps an MBUS Pro

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Have a vortex spitfire on order. The etched prism is supposed to help prevent the starburst and double dots caused by astigmatism. We will see how it works when it gets here.

https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...-1x-prism-scope.html

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Air rifles require specialized scopes due to their vibration patterns which kill conventional scopes.

Is this an issue with current red dot optics?

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That was the very reason I wanted to try it.

I have never read of air guns killing electronic sights but I imagine they are not in wide use.

The sight itself is very nice. It’s a UTG T dot setup. I mean it’s nice for an airgun or .22 etc. I wouldn’t put it on a real defensive firearm. I can’t say it wouldn’t be durable in that regard but I wouldn’t roll the dice either.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post