SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig556 Newbie Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig556 Newbie Questions Login/Join 
posted
Hello All!

I typically hang out with the “pistoleros” so, my knowledge of Sig long guns is limited.

I’ve done the obligatory keyword searches to uncover anything relevant to the model I’m showing here.

Only problem is, beyond it being a Sig556 I don’t know what if anything is factory original. I imagine the handguard and folding buttstock are aftermarket.

I’m unaware what “generation” this is, and if/how that matters.

More importantly, what do I need to look for on this example. SN: JT 021xxx

Thank you, Sig Cognoscenti!
-Bill

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That looks nearly stock for a SIG556 from 2008. Fishgill handguard, stock furniture, crappy SIG OEM magazine. I owned one just like it for awhile back in the day.

The only 'different' things are the sights - the original had a flip up front blade only and the rear is a small flat popsicle stick, which is likely under that rear sight. But it could have been an OEM option that SIG did which I never saw.

Not a bad rifle, just heavy and no longer supported by SIG.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Sounds like a decent model, if not for the high initial cost.

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I liked my 556's, I think I had 4 or 5 at one time. If Sig had not discontinued them I would likely still have them today. The only real downside to them was weight. Im sure cost would have been too if you bought them when they first came out for 2k+, I picked up most of mine new for under 1k and I believe they typically sell in that 800-1k range today.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
1st gens had 4 screws holding on the top rail, later gens had 3. I think JT is 2nd generation, the trigger guard and the front sight are aftermarket, site looks to be M.I.. I think that stock is factory and that lower was only used on the 1st, 2nd gens and early pistols.
IIRC the canted receivers had been corrected by that time, there were a few reports of the bottom of the bolt carrier striking the receiver (?) making a shiny spot or chip, I don't remember if it caused any real damage other than that but I don't think so.

2nd gen, people were still bitching about the stock (not folding) but there were some hinges available, yours looks like an ACE & let's not forget the fishgills ... we were able to get 551 h/g's but they didn't fit tight ... most people didn't seem to mind the front povit screw but some (of us) wanted a 55x pin ... a couple companies came out with their version, but none were as good as the Swiss pins.

That's all I can think of off hand ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
1st gens had 4 screws holding on the top rail, later gens had 3. I think JT is 2nd generation...

This one has 3 securing the top rail.

Thanks for your input!