SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hatfield SAS Shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatfield SAS Shotgun Login/Join 
posted
So...every so often a large group of us gets together to cookout and throw clays just for the hell of it. 20-30 folks most times including kids and wives and everyone like to shoot some. That said most don't have or don't bring their shotguns as its just easier to buy shells and clays to contribute vs. toting a shotty around. So me and the kid are in the Wally grabbing a couple hundred shells and I spy a Hatfield semi-auto for $229! I figure what the hell as I'm one of the few who pack up a couple guns to take and normally have no issues with others shooting them as well but sometimes I would just rather enjoy the company instead of hawk-eyeing my shotguns. So home with us it comes...gave it a shot or two of CLP and off we went. Got there and literally threw it on the table and said lets see if we can shoot it until it dies. I'm going to conservatively estimate it at around 300 rounds and ZERO, thats right ZERO issues...Federal, Rio, Winchester- you name it. did I say Zero issues? Best $225 ever spent on a gun...

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one last year after seeing it at wal mart for $226, it was a 12ga with a 28" barrel. The fit and finish didn't seem that bad, I've seen much worse. I put around 200 flawless rounds it then the trigger locked up. It wouldn't move at all, so I took it apart and found that the sear would get stuck and you'd have to manually reset it. It did this several more times so I called ATA and they sent me another trigger assembly that was machined differently.
I put another 50 shells through it and the bolt locked back. The only way to get it forward was to disassemble it or give it a few forward whacks on the charging handle. This happened about every 20 rounds. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Finally, it locked back enough that I had to take it apart. I found that the firing pin and it's retaining key we're bent and a small piece of metal had chipped of the bolt face. All of this happened with quality ammo, proper cleaning, lubrication and assembly. I sent the gun back, free shipping both ways and got it back in a week with a new bolt assembly. I put out around 30 rounds through it and the bolt locked back again, same issue as before.
I sold it for $200 with full disclosure. I didn't have time to send it back and forth trying to find a fix. I hope yours doesn't have these issues but I'm afraid that there's no reliable super cheap semi auto out there yet.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I bought one last year after seeing it at wal mart for $226, it was a 12ga with a 28" barrel. The fit and finish didn't seem that bad, I've seen much worse. I put around 200 flawless rounds it then the trigger locked up. It wouldn't move at all, so I took it apart and found that the sear would get stuck and you'd have to manually reset it. It did this several more times so I called ATA and they sent me another trigger assembly that was machined differently.
I put another 50 shells through it and the bolt locked back. The only way to get it forward was to disassemble it or give it a few forward whacks on the charging handle. This happened about every 20 rounds. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Finally, it locked back enough that I had to take it apart. I found that the firing pin and it's retaining key we're bent and a small piece of metal had chipped of the bolt face. All of this happened with quality ammo, proper cleaning, lubrication and assembly. I sent the gun back, free shipping both ways and got it back in a week with a new bolt assembly. I put out around 30 rounds through it and the bolt locked back again, same issue as before.
I sold it for $200 with full disclosure. I didn't have time to send it back and forth trying to find a fix. I hope yours doesn't have these issues but I'm afraid that there's no reliable super cheap semi auto out there yet.

It now resides in the back, way back, of one of the gun safes. I've got a few more that are much nicer. I think I've my money's worth...lol.

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post