SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best way to ship an NFA item?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to ship an NFA item? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I need to send an SBR on a Form 1 to a smith.

What's the recommended way? Is USPS still an option since the firearm is still a rifle?

It is much easier for me to get to a post office than a UPS depot.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'm not a 100 percent but pretty close, but if I remember right, you can't do USPS cause basically if it's not a rifle or a shotgun then they define it as a pistol. Sbr's fall under pistol for them.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, it's a no go with USPS.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432.1.c. Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Oh goody. Thanks, USPS.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you have to ship the entire gun back?

Several years ago I was sending a HK receiver and barrel to Murry Urbach to make a custom trunion, flute the chamber and set the headspace of a 308 I was building ...
I asked the local postmaster I had known for years his advise on how to ship it. He said that since I didn't need to send anything except the barrel, receiver, bolt and carrier to double box it and mark it machine parts and insure it for actual value, plus the value of what I was having done and ship it Priority Mail. It was shipped back to me the same way, except the barrel/receiver assembled and it was also an incomplete SBR ... not exactly how legal it was but he was an 03/07 SOT FFL

Its not quite the same as what you are doing but my only experience ... or ship it in 2 different packages, upper in one, lower in the other.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I ship NFA via Registered mail, since most are more than the insurance limit on Priority,

since you have a stamp, and you are shipping to a smith (assuming 07/SOT) and a SBR is still a Rifle,

either Priority insured , adult sig required, or registered,

both are roughly the same cost, registered takes a few days longer since it is physically touched and scanned at each stop it makes,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post