SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Carbine Mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Carbine Mags Login/Join 
posted
I recall there were positive reviews of the Korean mags, is that the consensus on what to buy for some plinking mags? Or go with the mags from Numrich that are new production military mags? Thanks.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
I recall there were positive reviews of the Korean mags, is that the consensus on what to buy for some plinking mags?

Those work just fine.

quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
Or go with the mags from Numrich that are new production military mags?

No idea where those come from, Numrich doesn't provide any details, and I can't find any reviews. So unless you like being a guinea pig, I'd stick with the known quality Korean mags.

Note that Numrich lists the manufacturer as "US Military". These mags could be new production, or they could be US Military, but they wouldn't be both new production US Military. Nobody's producing M1 Carbine mags for the US Military currently.

However, Numrich is selling unissued original USGI mags, but they're $45 each.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will get some korean mags ordered then.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
GI mags are garbage. Buy Korean.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
GI mags are garbage. Buy Korean.

Just what are you on about?

Mystery mags are a crap shoot... are you sure you have "gi mags?"

The good ole 15rnd usgi mags are not garbage. They or the Korean ones work fine.

M2 30rnders often have reliability issues and I recommend staying away from them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
They are a known weak point. I have many. Lots I’ve put new springs in. None work well. They were poorly made and considered disposable. There are better alternatives today.

Glad yours work.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I bought 5 of the Korean 15 rounders from Brownell’s to save wear on my original mags. They work great, never had an issue. Less than $9 apiece, try them.

My advice is buy from a reputable place. Some of the “Korean” mags out there may not be genuine.

KCI M1 mags Brownells

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sauer Kraut,

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are a known weak point. I have many. Lots I’ve put new springs in. None work well. They were poorly made and considered disposable. There are better alternatives today.

Glad yours work.

they are all considered disposable,

who made the one's you had issues with?

should be a makers code on the back of the mag,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some magazines (both 15 and 30 rd) from Keepshooting.com and they work perfectly in my GI (Inland) M-1 Carbine. Thus far for my surplus magazines all that I have had to do was bend a feed lip and replace a spring to get them to work.

https://www.keepshooting.com/magazines/m1-carbine

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

Glad yours work.

they are all considered disposable,

This. All magazines are disposable. Modern magazines as well. The magazine is the lynchpin of any semiauto firearm, if it doesn't run, the gun doesn't. The M1 Carbine doesn't have a reputation of being unreliable, and the idea that Korea makes new mags superior to the original ones? How about they make excellent copies jus like Uncle Sugar used to.

As far as USGI 15rnders being poorly made or unreliable, this is news to me. I'm not sure how I missed it through all the carbines I've owned and stacks of magazines. The guns themselves can have issues, because they are old and many are used. Used magazines, are _used_ and as long as the body isn't badly dented and feed lips too worn, the rest is servicable.

The most common magazine problem I find, is mag well fit with ARs.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Well, that's your problem right there, kid: You shouldn't be trying to use M1 Carbine mags with an AR-15...

Unless you have an old Olympic Arms PCR-30. Wink

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Well, that's your problem right there, kid: You shouldn't be trying to use M1 Carbine mags with an AR-15...

Unless you have an old Olympic Arms PCR-30. Wink

I thought they seemed loose.

That's cool though, an AR in .30 Carbine. It would go well with my Automag III.

Arc.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Olympic reportedly developed it while trying for a contract with the Israeli police in the late 1990s, but that never went anywhere, with the Israelis going with the problematic IMI Magal instead.

They then sold them for a few years in the early/mid 2000s, both as full rifles as well as more often as a set of an upper and corresponding mag block, but only a relatively small number were ever produced.

At the time, since the AWB was still in effect, it had a small niche among folks who wanted an AR PCC, already had an AR lower, and were sitting on a stockpile of pre-ban M1 Carbine magazines. But practically speaking, there's not much point to one nowadays, with the advent of stuff like .357 Sig ARs that take Glock magazines, or .300 Blackout ARs.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Well, neat. You get a gold star because it's seldom that I say "I've never heard of that."

Arc.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post