SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    POF Rogue .308 experiences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POF Rogue .308 experiences? Login/Join 
posted
Anybody have experience with the POF Rogue? I really like the combo of light weight and a .308 round for a patrol rifle, but haven’t seen very many reviews.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Anybody have experience with the POF Rogue? I really like the combo of light weight and a .308 round for a patrol rifle, but haven’t seen very many reviews.

I shot one at an industry choice awards selection event.

It was my favorite rifle among everything that we had a chance to shoot, including the Sig Cross.

308 power in a lightweight AR-15 platform. Well made, smart engineering. Mild recoil. Accurate but we didn't get to do any extensive accuracy testing. Functioned well. Well made.

I want one and will own one eventually. Just have other priorities right now.

I was actually surprised at how simple it was for them to fit a 308 into an AR-15 once I got a chance to see how they did it. Smart design.

It is a damn shame that Frank passed away. Frown

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I had a ton of photos from that event. I only uploaded a couple and then my phone up and died completely... and I had the photos stored on internal memory and not the removable flash card.

Mad

The only one's that I uploaded were of the Sig Cross.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
One of my son's friends has one. I got a chance to shoot it a few weeks ago and it is super nice. I'll just ditto everything IndianaBoy said. Light, low recoil, well thought out, very fun to shoot. I'd like to have one.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I was able to pick one up from the first release. As has been stated it is a well thought out rifle. The small frame and light weight are amazing, the minimal recoil, especially given the light weight, makes it doubly so.

That said I did make a few changes to personalize it. I ditched the MFT stock and grip for a Magpul K2 and BCM Gunfighter Mod 0. The POF single stage trigger was great but I prefer 2-stage so a Larue MBT was swapped. A negative here, the receiver opening for the trigger was off. A few passes of a round hobby file was needed to open up the receiver to allow the trigger to have full movement. A Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and a cherry Bomb finished the changes for suppressed shooting. The only other negative is there’s a roughness in the buffer spring when locking the bolt to the rear. I’ve had it all apart and best I can tell it’s the way the spring stacks. It’s not an issue during firing.

I’ve only adjusted the gas block for function and zeroed the Scalarworks irons. I hope to get more rounds through it soon. So far no regrets and I’d buy it again.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in 2012 I bought 2 POF rifles.
POF P-308 14'5" barrel.
POF P-415 14.5" barrel.
I absolutely love a short-stroke AR.
I was at my favorite LGS and he had the Rogue Rifle and I got it. I've run around 500 rds. through it and I have decided it will replace the POF P-415 as my truck gun. It wears a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8X24 on a Vortex QD mount and is just frikkin' GREAT ! The accuracy with std. ball is very good and with 180gr. SP ammo is perfect for game or whatever. I like the small chassis and it is super quick on follow up shots as the recoil is less than my P-308. I don't buy junk and it isn't cheap, but it is worth every $ in my book. I will be running about 500++ more rounds through it next weekend and am shooting a Tactical course so I'll know for sure if it's my new favorite. So far I am WAAAAAAY impressed with it !

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too would heartily recommend the Rogue. I purchased one last week and have run about 100 rounds through it. Accuracy is excellent with 150 grain Hornady Interlock and 168 Sierra Match (about 1moa for each) - I'll try other cartridges in the future.. Very light recoil, and so far, flawless function. I agree that it's not a cheap gun, but I would buy it again in a second. This is probably the best gun purchase I have made in 30 years!

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malox2:
I too would heartily recommend the Rogue. I purchased one last week and have run about 100 rounds through it. Accuracy is excellent with 150 grain Hornady Interlock and 168 Sierra Match (about 1moa for each) - I'll try other cartridges in the future.. Very light recoil, and so far, flawless function. I agree that it's not a cheap gun, but I would buy it again in a second. This is probably the best gun purchase I have made in 30 years!

Wow! Took the POF rifle to draw you out of a 13-year hiding for the first post! Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
One of our local gun stores has a few in stock for Christmas.

Within, the POF brand, how is the shooting experience different between their direct impingement and gas piston rifles?

How do you choose?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
One of our local gun stores has a few in stock for Christmas.

Within, the POF brand, how is the shooting experience different between their direct impingement and gas piston rifles?

How do you choose?

This isn't exclusive to POF products but....

My opinion is that it is a testament to Stoner's design that you can shoehorn a piston on top of the barrel and it still works well.

If the original had been piston and someone figured out how to delete the piston, delete the weight of the piston, and the effect of barrel harmonics, etc. Everyone would be tripping all over themselves to get the new piston free design.

The standard gas design is NOT true direct impingement. The rear of the bolt functions as the piston and the pressure that builds in the bolt and carrier has an important function on relieving the thrust on the lugs of the bolt as they unlock.

My humble opinion, the Stoner gas system is a beautiful and functional bit of engineering.

Go with gas.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I grabbed one as well but haven't shot it yet. I will say the quality throughout is readily apparent. I swapped on a B5 Bravo stock and grip and want to swap the gas block for an adjustable one. I put an ACOG on mine...just a handy rifle that points very well

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I grabbed one as well but haven't shot it yet. I will say the quality throughout is readily apparent. I swapped on a B5 Bravo stock and grip and want to swap the gas block for an adjustable one. I put an ACOG on mine...just a handy rifle that points very well

I use adjustable gas blocks on many of my AR15 builds but I would urge you to shoot it before you put an adjustable gas block on the POF Rogue. The example I shot was an extremely smooth rifle and I didn't immediately feel a need for one.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
That's precisely why it isn't swapped out yet. I plan to put a DA FH on it so I can mount a Sandman-K for times we need cans to shoot. POF makes their adjustable gas block...need to figure out which version on this rifle.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post