SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's the current recommendation for RDS/minis on ARs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the current recommendation for RDS/minis on ARs? Login/Join 
posted
At the time of the EoTech problems a few years back, I switched over to low power variable scopes on my two main ARs. While they are almost as quick as a red dot, obviously not quite.

Are the current crop of mini red dots (RMR, Delta Point) solid enough to consider or should I stick with what I have?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most of the complaints I see with RMR / DPP on AR is problems in the rain and a tighter eyebox that more traditional RDS like Eotechs / Aimpoints / etc.

But people do use them and for a lightweight build it might be a consideration I guess. But it's hard IMO to beat a Aimpoint Micro with a solid mount.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint PRO.

Or Aimpoint Micro (H1/T1/etc.), if you want the little bit of size/weight savings, and your budget allows.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't owned an Aimpoint, but tried a friend's once. I guess I didn't see much difference compared to a LPV. Still felt like looking down a tube. OTOH, it could have been the specific model he had (I don't recall which)

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I haven't owned an Aimpoint, but tried a friend's once. I guess I didn't see much difference compared to a LPV. Still felt like looking down a tube. OTOH, it could have been the specific model he had (I don't recall which)

Problem is you are closing your non-shooting eye.

Open both eyes and your FOV will be everything you can see with both eyes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Try shooting an Aimpoint with both eyes open. The tube will go away and you'll see the dot.

That said I've had an RMR on one of my ARs for a year. I don't shoot it enough to claim proficiency on it, but I haven't had any issues. I prefer my aimpoint pro or COMP M3 because sometimes I forget to open both eyes.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also a big difference in performance of various sighting systems relaxed, on a range in daylight vs. under high stress, maybe from awkward positions, at night.

While an Aimpoint may seem just as fast as irons or a LPV scope with a good shooting position in daylight, that all changes and the Aimpoint (or similar RDS) "shines" the further away you get from ideal shooting conditions IMHO.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. The unlimited eye relief of an Aimpoint is tough to beat in less than ideal conditions and positions.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post