SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Laser bore sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser bore sights Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Does anyone use a laser bore sight?

I can do the old blank paper walk it in thing, but I'm thinking I might get a laser bore sight. Should I bother?

This isn't for getting dialed in, just the rough-in. I'd want to dial in a dirt bore.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
No experience with the laser bore sighter. I have and use the Leupold Zero Point.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
My experience is not good. I used one on my partners LWRC AR15, zeroed it across the shop (roughly 75 yards) and it was WAY off.

I'll send it to you if you want to give it a try,.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I initially setup any of my optics I use Site Lite laser boresighter.
It works great to get it on paper to start then you need to dial it in.
I don't see how I could be with out it.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yeah I just want to make sure I'm close, don't want to be the guy putting one over the berm.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I have and use one, but to be honest, the one I have is only slighty better than looking down the bore. The one I have inserts in the muzzle and there are different plastic tips for the various calibers. You have to have the rifle secured very well as even with the proper tip, the bore sight will move around some if jostled.

I think the type that is shaped like the exact cartridge you're working with and is loaded into the chamber are better.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I bore sight at 50yds first, then walk it in and increase distance.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I have and use one, but to be honest, the one I have is only slighty better than looking down the bore. The one I have inserts in the muzzle and there are different plastic tips for the various calibers. You have to have the rifle secured very well as even with the proper tip, the bore sight will move around some if jostled.

I think the type that is shaped like the exact cartridge you're working with and is loaded into the chamber are better.

that's the type I have, still junk.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've always just clamped it on and started with blank paper at 50 yds. Maybe it's the best way?

Arc.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Despite being an avid gear junkie, a laser boresighter is not something that I have ever felt the need for. I assume that they must be used at relatively close distances to see the laser dot, and therefore significant adjustments may be necessary at actual zeroing ranges anyway. Am I wrong?

I would possibly find more use for one if I was limited to a range where setting up and frequent moving targets at close distances was restricted and I’d want things to be as smooth and easy as possible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've used mine to bore sight probably well over a hundred guns... but that was work related. But I have used it on tons of my own rifles and handguns, even adapted it to an arrow after charing rest and sights on my bow.

A useful thing most people miss is using them AFTER you're sighted in. You use it to get on paper. Then sight in the regular/normal/proper way. But then you use it again with the chart/target at a set distance. You chart your POA vs PO.. laser. Then any time in the future you can check it against your notes. A nice thing to be able to do if your gun gets banged around, or you traveled a long way for a hunt or match or whatnot, make sure nothing has moved.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
The Sightmark laser boresighter that goes into the chamber works pretty well. It'll get you on paper at 100 yards anyway. If you've got an area that you can aim at night so the laser's dot shows up it will do what it's supposed to do. Then just a few clicks should have you dialed in perfect. If you're not using a magnified scope, probably go for 50 yards to make it easy. One thing is, they go through their little batteries fairly fast. Like maybe 15 minutes of useful life? So buy a bulk pack of those Silver Oxide SG5 batteries, so they last longer.

-Mike

Sightmark Laser Boresight ( .223/5.56 ) at Amazon

Silver Oxide AG5 Batteries

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I've always just clamped it on and started with blank paper at 50 yds. Maybe it's the best way?

Like I said, I'll send you mine. I don't use it, you can be the judge.

├┼┼╕
246R

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

I had one just like that until an acquaintance borrowed it and never returned it. I never asked for it back because for me it wasn't any better than boresighting and took longer.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Worthless IMO. Both in money, time and effort to use the worthless things.

For an AR, drop the lower, pull the bolt and look through the bore to get a rough boresight.

For a bolt gun, just pull the bolt and eyeball it.

I always fire 3-ish shots at 25 and get windage on and elevation were I expect it before kicking it out further. Wasted enough ammo not doing that in the past to make it well worth the 5 minutes it takes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bushnell and have a hell of a time seeing the dot at 50 yrds in daylight. So it makes it almost useless.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post