SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MPX-9mm. Durability ? Service?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX-9mm. Durability ? Service? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know where or who the Sig Sauer MPX is in service with?

I heard Boston , Indiana state police and British police but would like to know.

Also are we seeing any high round count MPX's with durability issues.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
A protective services unit in DC is using them. I do not have a round count and they acquired them after I left.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
If you want high round count reports, check with PCC match competitors. I have read that the MPX is popular with them.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A DC unit.....

Like a government agency ?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot recall a single example of a gov't unit providing any reliable details on anything with respect to a gun. Maybe somewhere, but really its nothing you could depend on an official report or actual data.
In any case the suggestion above is pretty good. Me personally at about 5K rounds competitively, no issues to speak of.
I'll let you know when it gets to high round counts.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
A protective services unit in DC is using them. I do not have a round count and they acquired them after I left.

What unit?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
What unit?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
quote:

What unit?

OK, I am wrong. I reached out to a guy who was still there when I left. They requested but were denied MPX's. They are currently using MK18 SBR's. My mistake.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, I am wrong. I reached out to a guy who was still there when I left. They requested but were denied MPX's. They are currently using MK18 SBR's. My mistake.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I cannot recall a single example of a gov't unit providing any reliable details on anything with respect to a gun. Maybe somewhere, but really its nothing you could depend on an official report or actual data.
In any case the suggestion above is pretty good. Me personally at about 5K rounds competitively, no issues to speak of.
I'll let you know when it gets to high round counts.

Two that come readily to my mind are the 1986 GAO report on the JSSAP XM-9 trial and the KSC Security team's maintenance records for their HK MP5s. Although I suppose they could have included even more info I would describe both as admirably detailed.

Looking forward to your MPX round count updates.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Gen II MPX experience:

At round #843 I tried to take the bbl out for the 1st gas system cleaning. Bbl bolts wouldn't unscrew. Back to SIG and my upper receiver and bbl (but not BCG) were replaced.

At round #926 I noticed the firing pin tip appeared to have a little bend to it; I kept on firing it. At round #2396 the tip of the firing pin broke off. SIG said they wanted the MPX sent back for repair and inspection. Turn around was 1 week, including shipping both ways which SIG paid for. SIG replaced bolt carrier with new style, firing pin, firing pin spring, extractor spring, and gas valve (I had no problems with extractor spring or gas valve that I was aware of).

Otherwise, my MPX has been extremely reliable. I use a LaRue MPT trigger group in mine. I use both Gen I and Gen II mags with no problems. I clean the gas system about every 750 rounds.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two that come readily to my mind are the 1986 GAO report on the JSSAP XM-9 trial and the KSC Security team's maintenance records for their HK MP5s.

I am not familiar with the latter so maybe some help on where to look at it. But the former is clearly not an operational use as was asked in the opening post(the original request was 'in service').

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC i was at about 800-850 when my firing pin broke. They sent me a new bolt and pin set up. I have clocked 2-maybe 3k through mine since. As mentioned elsewhere. I use shit tula ammo, wolf, brown bear ect almost exclusively for practice. I clean it now about 500-700 rounds.

Not because it has issues, but that i go in spurts of using it. I will shoot it 2-3 weeks here on the property and then get a hankerin to shoot 223/308/7.62x39/40sw vector. when i do, i clean it then.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some serious USPSA PCC competitors feel it is prudent to clean the gas system every night of a major match, which necessitates removing the barrel.

I shot a pair of MPX carbines in PCC half of last season. Each broke a firing pin spring. Right now one of mine needs a trip back to Sig to fix stoppages that I believe are related to the BCG (runs fine with BCG out of my eight inch MPX.)

Sig just introduced a competition model MPX.

http://www.recoilweb.com/watch...eady-mpx-136997.html

Posts: 183 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Two that come readily to my mind are the 1986 GAO report on the JSSAP XM-9 trial and the KSC Security team's maintenance records for their HK MP5s.

I am not familiar with the latter so maybe some help on where to look at it. But the former is clearly not an operational use as was asked in the opening post(the original request was 'in service').

I wasn't replying to the original post, I was replying to your statement "I cannot recall a single example of a gov't unit providing any reliable details on anything with respect to a gun" which didn't have any language limiting the statement to in-service weapons.

The JSAAP XM-9 testing was considered by many to be the most extensive testing of a handgun prior to fielding for service, at that time. The GAO report includes information such as the P226 "mud rail" change and the redesign of the firing pin, based on the test results.

A portion of the KSC security team's maintenance records were published in Frank James' ubiquitous HK MP5 Submachine gun book.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The firing pin issue seems to be the only one that comes up with any regularity, hard to tell if it was a bad run of pins but it seems like that is the case.

Mine have several thousand rounds of hard primer brown bear / S&B and run like tops.

Have not cleaned the piston system since initial teardown and suppose I need to look into that.

From my experience Sig will sell you a firing pin and recoil springs if you want spares. They won't sell things like the bolt.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post