SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Montana 1999 build is complete!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Montana 1999 build is complete! Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I obtained a Montana 1999 short action that was barreled with a featherweight Obermeyer 5R barrel last year. It's "in the white" which means it still needs a surface finish. I want this to be an all-weather hunting rifle so I've decided to send it out to Jon Wolfe for their nitriding services.

I just received a Hogue full bedding block featherweight inlet stock in Ghillie Green for my action today.

I've got some stock fitting to do. I can't get both screws in and I have to really push hard to get the action and bottom metal into the stock.

The stock is REALLY rigid and weighs 3 pounds, 1 ounce alone. I picked it up directly from Hogue on Amazon Prime for $195.

Looks like fully loaded and scoped it will come in around 10.5 pounds. That's 2 pounds less than my Savage 110 rebuild.

I'd like to get a nice light scope. Something that doesn't have a bunch of knobs. Hopefully I can knock off a half a pound and come in under 10 pounds.

What's the average hunting rifle weigh these days?

This action was a gift from a close friend. I wanted to use an HS precision, a Manners or a McMillan stock but I can’t afford it right now so I decided to try the Hogue.

I wanted to keep it in the 8 pound range but I guess that ain’t happening with this stock.

Any recommendations on a good 3-9x lightweight scope? This will be for hunting inside 200 yards.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Tikka T3x Lite Stainless with a 4-20x50 Nikon Monarch on it weighs in at 8lbs 1.8oz unloaded, with empty magazine in.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Nitriding, very nice choice of finish.

continuing to enjoy your build threads.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I obtained a Montana 1999 short action...
It's "in the white" which means it still needs a surface finish.
I've decided to send it out to Jon Wolfe for their nitriding services.

I am looking at a stainless Defiance action for a 223 bolt action. Over the weekend I spoke with the Defiance rep about nitriding their action. He obviously wasn't enamored with the idea, even though a number of customers do it without issues. In his opinion, nitriding subjects the bolt to a little higher temperatures than Defiance likes to see. The rep recommended DLC coating instead.

Can you provide any insight on this issue? Or any feedback from Hon Wolfe?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Jon actually recommended only nitriding the barrel, receiver and bottom metal. I'm still on the fence on what kind of finish to use on the bolt.

I'll look into the DLC coating. I've never heard of it until now.

Tony.

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Nitriding if done incorrectly is a bad choice. Call Ted at American Rifle Co and ask him his thoughts on Nitriding a rifle action. He's done some extensive testing on it. It changes the heat treat on the action and you're left with what he compares to a hard boiled egg. Personally if it wasn't done by the manufacturer, I would choose DLC. If you DLC the action, DON"T DLC the bolt. Use NP3 if you can. A DLC bolt and action do not play nice together.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Nitriding if done incorrectly is a bad choice. Call Ted at American Rifle Co and ask him his thoughts on Nitriding a rifle action. He's done some extensive testing on it. It changes the heat treat on the action and you're left with what he compares to a hard boiled egg. Personally if it wasn't done by the manufacturer, I would choose DLC. If you DLC the action, DON"T DLC the bolt. Use NP3 if you can. A DLC bolt and action do not play nice together.

Jon's done a bit of research and testing on the subject himself and I've had parts done by him before. He's very meticulous about his work so I trust him to do it properly.

Tony.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I almost posted last week wondering if you'd built this out yet. I've been looking forward to seeing what you did with it. I'm insanely jealous. That's a beautiful gun. For a hunting rifle to be used inside of 300 yards I'd recommend the Nikon Monarch also.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I almost posted last week wondering if you'd built this out yet. I've been looking forward to seeing what you did with it. I'm insanely jealous. That's a beautiful gun. For a hunting rifle to be used inside of 300 yards I'd recommend the Nikon Monarch also.

Love my Monarch.
Easily one of the clearest scopes I've ever used.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
benny6, nice rifle.

I too am going to suggest not to Nitride. Two friends had their 6x47's barrels done by a reputable place hoping to extend barrel life. Both shot their barrels before sending them off to make sure they didn't have a dud barrel, shot great. Cleaned according to instructions. Barrels didn't shoot after Nitriding. Been told by a few top gunsmiths that can happen. I shoot Bighorn actions, I know they will say no on Nitriding. Guessing Obermeyer will tell you the same.

To each is own on finish. From a guy who has his barreled actions bead blasted, hides scrapes/dings.... maybe consider that? Put the coating money towards a scope.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually look for leupold scopes when I need something light weight. It just depends what you want to spend, I just took a vx3i 2.5-8x36 off one rifle and replaced it with my nightforce shv 3-10x42.

My dad just got a. We leupold vx freedom 3-9, it’s lite and surprisingly nice for 175.00 shipped. You could also check out the meopta scopes.

As for that stock, throw your bipod on it and set it on the table, see if the tip of the stock flexes and makes contact with the barrel. I’ve had that problem with several hogue overmold stocks.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
After a little Dremel work, I got it in

Here’s the full bedding inside.

Here’s the forearm it’s got a full length support rib.

I don’t have a sling stud bipod but this should simulate it. The stock does not flex and the barrel remains free floated.

I dug out the Talley’s and mounted a Zeiss 3-9x50. Empty, it’s under 10 pounds. Loaded, it’s just 1oz over.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
benny6, nice rifle.

I too am going to suggest not to Nitride. Two friends had their 6x47's barrels done by a reputable place hoping to extend barrel life. Both shot their barrels before sending them off to make sure they didn't have a dud barrel, shot great. Cleaned according to instructions. Barrels didn't shoot after Nitriding. Been told by a few top gunsmiths that can happen. I shoot Bighorn actions, I know they will say no on Nitriding. Guessing Obermeyer will tell you the same.

To each is own on finish. From a guy who has his barreled actions bead blasted, hides scrapes/dings.... maybe consider that? Put the coating money towards a scope.

Thanks! As far as nitriding goes, I'm a believer. I had this entire M14, minus the receiver, nitrided after a 100 round break-in and accuracy was the same, if not better.

My long range service rifle/F-class guru has had lots of barrels nitrided with no ill effects.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Looks good, my go to rifle is weighting in at about 6lb 7oz right now. It’s a kimber Montana 308 with a nightforce 3-10x42 mounted with nightforce ultra light rings and a Talley 20moa rail. Before I put the NF scope on it was 5lb 11oz with a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36.

I hunt the mountains and try for sheenevery year but probably not this year due to injury but I like my rifle all up to be 7lb or under, I absolutely love hunting blacktails on kodiak island, If I died doing that I’d likely die with a shit eating grin on my face.

Another cool toy I got is a javelin bipod, weighs next to nothing, attaches to my rifle with a magnet.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got my parts back from Jon Wolfe today. Man, he does great work! I had him bead blast all the parts and nitride them. I sent the receiver, barrel, bottom metal, action screws and magazine follower.

I love the two-tone look of the receiver. The parts that were nitrided have a nice dull satin or semi-gloss look to it. The barrel is just hand-tight right now. I'll torque it on soon and complete the build.

The next step will be to bed the receiver and get it ready for the range.

Tony.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Very cool keep us updated.

Posts: 1541 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
What is it? Chambered for.....?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got the last pieces today. I ordered Talley low rings and a Leupold XV-3i 3.5-10 x 40.

Cheek weld and eye relief are perfect now.

Final weight: 9 pounds, 12 oz..

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine build.

Glad to have seen it come together so nicely.

Post some targets when you're able to punch some holes with it now complete Smile

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post