SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Threaded barrel end?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Threaded barrel end? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I bought a new rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, that is threaded at the muzzle, it has a thread protector screwed on now.

I bought the rifle to learn precision shooting.
I can live with the thread protector but the looks of it bother me.

I can't have a silencer, but could screw another type of accessory on.

I will most likely shoot from prone or bench.

What would be a good choice for a muzzle device for this type of rifle, in this chambering, or should I just learn to live with the thread protector.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find some type of muzzle brake, preferably one made for precision shooting. It will look better, and be functional as well. The only negative to a good muzzle brake is that it can direct some of the noise and shock to the side of the shooter as opposed to just out front.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, great choice in caliber. I have a Percision rifle in 260 Remington. Same 6.5 mm bullet just a different cartridge. The gun is a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate as well.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thread protectors were made to look exactly like the barrel itself. When installed, I almost need a magnifying glass to locate the joint between the barrel and the thread protector.

Outside of suppressors, muzzle devices for bolt action rifles are pretty much limited to brakes. APA makes some very nice brakes that are removable by hand. Brakes are very effective at reducing recoil, and at reducing the number of friends shooting on either side of you. Brakes will be much larger and will stand out much more than your thread protector.

But if this is a barrel beauty contest, you're on your own.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Brakes are very effective at reducing the number of friends [you have].

But if this is a barrel beauty contest, you're on your own.

QFT (with minor editing)

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Not that concerned about looks, I wouldn't be asking about this if the thread saver was blended into the barrel. The thread saver this rifle has is large knurling.
I can live with it but would prefer something different. Especially if it severed a purpose.
I don't think the recoil of the 6.5 creedmoor warrants the downside of a brake.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK its a common thread, order up a better one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post