SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recent write up about M1 Carbine for Home Defense
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent write up about M1 Carbine for Home Defense Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
It might be my favorite gun to shoot for pure joy.

That's how I feel about my carbines.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Jim Cirillo of NYPD fame liked the M1 carbine with soft point ammo. He said it worked quite well at ending incidents.

The AR is without a doubt a better platform if it's legal where you live. If not then an M1 carbine is an excellent choice for manuvering indoors when necessary.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course it could be an excellent choice for some persons. Not the 'best' but certainly a solid option.

I am not thrilled at the lack of modern magazine availability however which somewhat limits the viability.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Of course it could be an excellent choice for some persons. Not the 'best' but certainly a solid option.

I am not thrilled at the lack of modern magazine availability however which somewhat limits the viability.

???

15 round mags work great,
not hard to drop and replace (even easier with practice)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

???

Who makes the mags and what is their widespread availability?

Like Glock makes Glock mags, Sig makes SIG mags, etc. Can buy them pretty much anywhere - widespread availability.

Put another way - is there a major US vendor making high quality production NEW magazines (please don't say ProMag)?

---------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

???

Who makes the mags and what is their widespread availability?

Like Glock makes Glock mags, Sig makes SIG mags, etc. Can buy them pretty much anywhere - widespread availability.

Put another way - is there a major US vendor making high quality production NEW magazines (please don't say ProMag)?

---------------------------------

yes,

Auto Ordnance

however there are loads of original mags still available out there, as well as some Korean imports,

they were contract built, as in gov't contract, and built to spec,
and work as they are supposed to, no issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

Definitely nowhere near as prolific as AR mags in terms of availability but at least there is one US manufacturer.

Can't say I'd trust Korean mags for HD but that is another topic. Smile

--------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:Can't say I'd trust Korean mags for HD but that is another topic. Smile

I assume you test your HD mags regardless of country of origin. If they work, what's wrong with them?

Besides, you trust your life to foreign made devices in far more tangible ways every day.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to original mags, I have a few of the Korean ones, they have been 100% so far.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are also Taiwanese 30 rounders wrapped in brown waxpaper which a big Carbine user of mine swears bye. He fires M-1's and M-2's.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Yep, I think they make a fine choice for HD, and my old girl is ready to do just that:

Although I prefer USGI for magazines, the KCI 15 rounders seem to work well, with the "UU" 30 rounders functioning well, but have what seem very soft rear locking lugs, that grind away fast. I do like the last round hold open on the 30's.

FWIW, my Quality Hardware rifle feeds flawlessly, and is stoked with Hornady 100 grain SJ bullets, loaded to 2100 fps. These things are accurate, and absolutely devastating.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Very cool collection of photos Rogue. Thank you.

I particularly liked the MSP troopers

Carbines were popular during the 1967 Detroit riots with both MSP and DPD.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Detroit PD was actually one of the last departments to surplus their M1 Carbines. They traded them off to a local distributor (Zander Sporting Goods) in exchange for some S&W AR15s in the late 2000s, and Zander's then turned around and sold them for a nice profit.

Detroit PD guns are marked "DPD" with a precinct number and rack number on the underside of the pistol grip and stock.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
They'll work in a pinch but I've never owned a carbine that was 100%. I'm such a fan of the carbines that I also own a transferable M2. However, I'd take any quality AR over a carbine for defensive use.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The cost of these, their ammo vs an AR-15...

AR-15 wins the M1 is a great gun, it is not the cheap alternative it was. The numbers of folk that carried them on the government dime are rapidly drying up. Most people would have to learn this gun to use it as an HD weapon.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I passed up on one to get my ruger PR. While the option was because I already had an ar and was getting a 500 the same time made the m1 not really appealing, it seems like a henry repeating rifle really. Something that was so famous that it will live on, and I am happy for that. I can not wait to get one, because its just such a clean looking carbine.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post