SIGforum
Ljutic Trap Guns- UPDATE

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4130001724

July 10, 2017, 07:00 PM
armored
Ljutic Trap Guns- UPDATE
I would like to learn to shoot trap so I'm doing some preliminary research trying to learn about the game and guns to use.

My gun selection is two fold. I have always wanted a beautiful wood stocked gun with impeccable fit and Finnish, a shotgun comes to mind.
I started thinking I would like an old Winchester mdl. 12 trap version. I quickly found out they were not giving them away and authenticity is a problem. I then stumbled onto the Ljutic brand. It seems to have a great reputation and after learning about the founder I like the brand even more.
I found a few models that interest me. The Dyna Trap and the 73. Both models seem to have been built in the 70's. I also looked at the Mono but the price for a used one might be out of my range.

From you Trap shooters, what is your opinion of this make and the models I mentioned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armored,
July 10, 2017, 10:54 PM
fritz
First and foremost, you should never buy a shotgun model without shooting it prior to the purchase. Fit is everything with a shotgun. Beg, borrow, and plead with other shooters to use their shotguns for a shot or 10.

Next, decide what shotgun game or games you really want to shoot. If you know you will never want to shoot anything other than singles trap, then your gun configuration should match that the singles game. Understand that a singles trap gun really won't work well with skeet, sporting clays, five stand, and doubles trap.

I have a 1948 vintage Winchester Model 12. It's a good gun, but not a great gun. I shoot it only in state tournaments events that specifically limit the guns used to pump guns. The model 12 is not competitive with a modern over-under.

I've shot a few Ljutic O/U guns. They felt nice, fit & finish were very good. IMO they won't break any more clays than a Browning or Beretta. Furthermore, the "B" guns fit me better than the Ljutics I've shot. Back to my first point, fit is everything.
July 11, 2017, 11:58 AM
heathtx
I shoot about 10,000 registered trap targets a year. Feel free to contact me off line, please put "Ljutic" in the subject line.

I shoot a Perazzi gun, but I know a lot about

A great gun, if you shoot it extremely well and don't want to sell it.
heathtx
July 13, 2017, 09:45 PM
FN in MT
I've got a Dyna Trap. Beautiful wood, that fit me very well. Older gun, that sat in it's case for years. I shoot it well, but simply don't shoot trap as much as I used to. And do not compete anymore.

I think they are built like a tank. Mine has always functioned 100%.

Unfortunately they have a lousy resale. I paid $3K for mine years back and I may be able to get $2K today. NOT my usual, high grade shotgun scenario.

Great guns though.
July 14, 2017, 01:38 AM
armored
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I've got a Dyna Trap. Beautiful wood, that fit me very well. Older gun, that sat in it's case for years. I shoot it well, but simply don't shoot trap as much as I used to. And do not compete anymore.

Unfortunately they have a lousy resale. I paid $3K for mine years back and I may be able to get $2K today. NOT my usual, high grade shotgun scenario.

Great guns though.

Let me know if you decide to sell it, I might be interested.
July 14, 2017, 02:56 PM
tartan427
As noted above, fit is everything. The gun may be beautiful, but if it does not fit you it will only be frustrating. Try as many different makes as you can. We trap shooters (and I'm pretty hard core -- shooting three days a week) are a strange bunch. When our scores start to drop off, we automatically assume it is the gun, and start looking for the next one. As a consequence, there are always used trap guns at every price point available. Be patient, the right one is out there.
August 20, 2017, 12:32 AM
armored
UPDATE: Ljutic Mono in the safe
Stretched my budget but found something special. Gander mountain bankruptcy liquidation had it advertised on GunBroker. I negotiated a very good price and now enjoy this shotgun.
Now I have to learn to shoot trap!

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/6...353/pix824462494.jpg
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/6...353/pix911628488.jpg
August 20, 2017, 07:36 PM
FN in MT
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Great guns though.

Let me know if you decide to sell it, I might be interested.

For sale..... $3K FIRM.
August 21, 2017, 10:45 PM
cas
I can't see the name Ljutic without seeing the space gun in my head. Smile

August 26, 2017, 05:57 PM
XLT
Good friend of mine shot trap all his life won lots state trap shoots ata, pita. he had a ljutic custom made for him and loved it I shot it every time I could very nice gun. now your going to need an auto or over and under for doubles, I prefer auto. Nice looking gun btw
August 26, 2017, 06:02 PM
jhe888
That ought to be a singles trap machine. You certainly should be able to make it fit you.

Enjoy it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.