SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benny6 builds a Garand **Range report posted, page 2**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benny6 builds a Garand **Range report posted, page 2** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Well, the time has come for me to build a Garand. Found a nice postwar 4.3 mil SA receiver and have a SA bolt on the way. Lothar Walther will be sending me a 308 heavy barrel to test. I'll begin purchasing parts as I sell items and can afford the rest.

Sept/Oct 1953...

last 3 of the S/N blurred out...

I've got a hackberry wood stock that some friends refinished and gifted me last year.

I added up the price, and if I buy all new, correct unissued parts, minus the stock and barrel, I should spend around $1,200 on this one.

Hope to have this finished by the summer.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Very nice Benny! I look forward to seeing this come together. I'm sure it will be a work of art.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Looks like you’re off to a good start.
I’m looking forward to seeing this come together

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My service grade is about the same vintage.

I cannot wait to see the finished product. You do beautiful work.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That stock is a beauty. Can't wait to see it done.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be watching this. I have a Garand itch but I know I cant afford to feed one right now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, one of the most exciting threads I’ve seen in a while, can’t wait to see this unfold

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool project, I'm going to enjoy following this!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
That stock is off the scale. Can’t wait to see the finished rifle

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Due to the comments on the stock, here's the original refinishing post from one of the other mods at the M14 forum. One of my friends bought this stock and sent it to him to have refinished.

https://m14forum.com/stock/469...efinish-project.html

[QUOTE=Doug Carlton;4190824]New project I'll document here on a Garand refinish. I've worked on these in walnut but never Hackberry wood. Very hard, dense.

Before:

Cleaned with soy-gel, the stain came running off...gonna be hard to coax it to stain/dye. Will most likely have to use an aniline dye. Drying out this week.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Doug Carlton;4193988]The sanding/wetsanding revealed the grain and the undulation of the profile. Smoothing this into an Exotic-Style finish is not advisable. Started rough at 220 and 320 then 400 dry. Started the wetsand at the next waterproof 400 paperwork then 600. Being a stark white, the Hackberry took on a beige color as it dried.

Started with Stew-Mac tobacco brown, the wood hated it and it looked like a pumpkin, added more and it washed out the grain looking painted. Stripped the whole thing again and back to 600 wet. Moved to an aniline dye and was way too dark, but held. At that point it looked like the stock wanted to be a "vintage" look over a "finished" look. Wet-sanded off the dark areas areas only and started working in the copper/red back into the grain and it started to look like a Garand.

Buffed it out, applied 1st coat of Antique Mahogany wax, stripped it and buffed, looked really nice.

Multiple layers of final wax and buff and she is ready for her glamour shots.

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
SAH-Weeettt!!

Can't wait to see it done!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Its going to be a great rifle. Will you use GI sights, NM sights or optic ? I used to know a builder who did conversions to feed from either M14 mags or BAR. A little over the top IMO.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I might go NM sights if I can find an extra set in my stash. If not, just standard sights.

I'm going to check into the Sadlak BM-59 scope mount to see if it will fit the Garand. I may try that as an option just for testing purposes.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got the receiver today. I cleaned the decades old grease off and snapped some pics.

I couldn't have asked for a better preserved receiver and bolt. The thing is in perfect condition and has seen little use. Once it's assembled, it will look new.

The finish is original.

I dug through my stash and found a set of NM/2A rear sights. The elevation knob seems to say SA above the 8 and below the 0.

I borrowed a customer's HRA trigger group for a minute to see how it fit in my stock.

The color of the receiver, bolt and rear sights match perfectly.

Next will be the gas cylinder and maybe the trigger housing.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, I sold a few things and got the rest of the parts I needed. All I'm waiting on now is the barrel from Lothar-Walther.

The trigger group is the correct SA trigger group too.

Tony.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
So this guy will be a 308 LW barrel, with a stock that takes on all contenders. Said it before, but that stock is killer!

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is going to be an amazing build

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the result of your build. I’m hoping to have the opportunity (and the disposable cash) for a somewhat similar project someday.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got the barrel in yesterday.

It's just hand tightened and backed off a little for the picture. The gas cylinder fit is real snug. I'll cut the shoulder for timing, then cut headspace and then polish the chamber and send the barrel off to be parkerized.

Should be done by the end of March.

Tony.