SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benny6 builds a Garand **Range report posted, page 2**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benny6 builds a Garand **Range report posted, page 2** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see the completed gun!

Benny, what are you expecting out of it as far as grouping?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, un-bedded with iron-sights, I'm hoping for 2.5 inches. We'll see, though. I have a standard fat front sight but a NM rear sight. I did trim the barrel shoulder last night. I took off 0.005" and it times at 18˚ now. I'll cut and polish the chamber in the next day or two.

I may even build it and test it before sending it out for parkerizing, just because it's too tempting to not put it together now!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I finally got out of quarantine after having the Coronavirus and was up until 2am this morning building the Garand. A good friend of mine in Anaheim parkerized the barrel and my trigger group and sent me the barrel back about 2 weeks ago, but I got sick and hadn't opened the box of barrels and parts until yesterday.

I cut the chamber to 1.6335" with the "Nez Rongero special" chamber reamer that he gifted me last year. I trial fit a 175 grain gold medal match round into the chamber and it fit perfectly without any tightness and no excessive wobble.

I got it all lubed up this morning and did a manual function check. I did have to modify the front hand guard liner as it was bowed inside and I had to straighten one side. It was causing binding during cycling.

Hopefully I'll have the rifle out to the range in the next couple of days for her maiden voyage.

Tony.

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle. Well done, Tony!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Rifle Tony, and GREAT to hear you're on the other side of the Corona!

I've been SERIOUSLY impressed with the craftsmanship of your builds....Someday (when my finances have fully recovered from the 'Corona' Wink ) I'd REALLY like to have you build me an M14! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummmmmm... HMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

So nice.

Want.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You might get a nice surprise and find that barrel to print tighter groups than you expect. It looks good.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
You have some serious talent. We need a range report as soon as feasible.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Glad you're feeling better. That is one beautiful rifle!

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Wow that came out nice, outstanding job sir.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job. I'm a big fan of the Garand.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
What a beauty. Nice job. Christmas in April for the owner.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! Smile

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Keep your thumb out of it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, my friends! I'd be happy to build a rifle for anyone who needs one.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got to the range today and didn't realize that because of the coronavirus, they closed at 5PM instead of 9PM. I got there at 4:35 PM. I had 20 minutes to shoot and went straight to the 100 yard line.

After getting on paper with 147 grain handloads, I threw in 8 rounds of 168 grain Nosler CC's in FC-18 cases with 43.0 grains of IMR-4064 and a Rem 9-1/2 primer. I managed to clean the SR-1 target with 80-2X. I made two small sight corrections to bring some of the shots left. I think I came left two clicks (1/2 min clicks) and up one click.

After all was said and done, I pulled off a 2.360" group with iron sights at 100.

Round count is 16 now. That's all I had time for before the range closed.

Tony.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting. I was able to take out one of my SA and WRA Garands on Saturday and wore out several steel plates at 120 yards. I love shooting these rifles.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I keep forgetting it is .308. Glass bedding would likely shrink your group down. You got younger eye sight than I but that Match rear sight must give a excellent sight picture. Oh how I miss my beautiful HRA.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony, I am glad you made it thru the virus. That is a very nice looking rifle. I am curious where that range is. Someone spent some money on it. Thank you for any info.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous rifle, good group. Love the M1 Garand ourselves. We want one in 308 as well, haven’t quite decided to just get one already chambered, or rebarrel one. Yours looks great.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post