SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benny6 builds a Garand **Range report posted, page 2**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benny6 builds a Garand **Range report posted, page 2** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Very nice Garand. IMR-4064 is a great powder for the Garand whether it is in 308 or 30-06.

I know this may sound like blasphemy but, I have kicking around the idea of rebarreling one of my Garands to 6.5mm. Haven’t decided Swedish or Creedmoor yet. I have read good things about the Swede round in the Garand.

A couple years ago I would have went in a rampage hearing about a Garand in anything but ‘06. Even the .308 gave me hives. I am an originalist. But, have decided to keep a couple original and have one or two in something different.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony, glad you're over the Bat Stew Flu and back to building rifles; that one looks great! Pretty good group, too.

Have you ever tried AA2520 in your .308s/7.62?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Someone owed me a big favor and is providing me a custom NM Les Tam sling to go with it. Might take a few weeks, but I'll have it eventually. It will be a nice compliment to this rifle.

I might get a beater stock or just a plain Boyd's to learn bedding and NM mods since I've never NM conditioned a Garand before. Once I have the process down, I'll bed the hackberry that I have now.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that Tri County you’re shooting at? Been there quite a bit lately myself. Maybe we’ll run into one another sometime!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Benny,
Just a crazy question, could a M1 or M14 be chambered in 243?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Springfield Inc offered .243 M1A's in the early to mid 1980's. I bet you could special order a .243 barrel from one of the major suppliers.

I know you can get .308/7.62 NATO .270, .35 Whelan, 9.3x62MM, 7x64MM and 8x57MM Garand barrels off the shelf right now.

A fellow on the CMP Forum was looking into a run of 6.5x55MM barrels as well recently.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post