SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Issue with casing ejection/extraction on Ruger .22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issue with casing ejection/extraction on Ruger .22 Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
While taking my youngest and his new Ruger American .22 to the range today we ran into a consistent issue of the casings not so much ejecting from the rifle, but barely being extracted from the barrel and falling loosely on top of the magazine. While slowly opening and operating the bolt it appears that the empty casing is dragging across the top of the upper round in the magazine. This top round in turn is acting as a quasi ejector by knocking the casing loose from the extractor but obviously not really ejecting the casing from the gun. This issue was consistent across the magazine that came with the rifle, the magazine that I had from my 10/22 which is +/- 15 years old, and a Butler Creek hi-cap.

My assumption is that the magazine is sitting too high in the receiver but is there any other causes that I should look into?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How is the extraction and ejection with an empty magazine, or without one?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
How is the extraction and ejection with an empty magazine, or without one?

I tried cycling unfired rounds and if I work the bolt with a single round in a magazine the round falls off of the face of the bolt and back down into the empty magazine. If I chamber a round and then remove the magazine, the round will just fall straight down out of the magazine well. If I take the bolt completely out of the receiver the extractor doesn't hold the rim tight enough to hold the cartridge onto the bolt face.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
What ammo? Even though it may not cure it, it’s a good starting point. Mini-Mags, CCI Blazer or Federal Game Shock 36gr HP work best for me.

How fast are you working the bolt when you eject the single round with no magazine? If the bolt speed is slow, as with low power ammo, a dirty gun or overly lubed or cold it will do that.

I just checked my OLD 10/22 and if I cycle the bolt slowly, the round will fall down the well or sit on top of the loaded mag. I’d I work it quickly, it ejects well.

Has it been taken apart? Is the ejector there and not damage, things happen even in a new gun. https://shopruger.com/10_22-Ej...r/productinfo/60031/

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
So for those of you who are being kept up at night wondering what the cause was, here is what Ruger did. The end result is it extracts and ejects shells like a typical rifle would.

1) Replaced Positioner spring and magazine (I know the magazine wasn't the cause but it was nice of them to throw in a new mag.)
2) Repaired the extractor pocket.

---------------

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Check the chamber mouth for any dings or dents. They need not be large to cause this problem. Firing pin strikes will do this, the reason why dry firing a rimfire is a bad idea.

(this is the point where someone says "modern .22's don't do that. In a perfect world maybe, I don't live there)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never run a bolt gun slowly OT gently. They are met to be forcibly ripped on with authority

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post