SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta ARX At Current Prices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta ARX At Current Prices Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Is it a "buy" at the current prices? Academy has them for $879 and Buds just dropped it to $849. I've never looked too closely at it but that was mostly based on price. I like different things and this is kind of different. It wouldn't do anything special that other 5.56 carbines don't do in my line up but I kind of like it. The blowout prices kind of makes me wonder if Beretta is coming out with a dfferent model or maybe discontinuing it in the US. From the reviews I have seen it looks pretty good with the exception of some reported accuracy issues.

Anyone have any experience with one? I wish Beretta would make the 7.62x39 conversion kit available I'd be all over it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't think the ARX has brought anything new to the table that makes it any better than your run of the mill AR. The reversible ejection is cool but kind of gimmicky in my opinion.

Regardless, if that's how much they're going for now it's almost half of what I paid for when it first came out...so maybe that tells you something...

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot one. Shouldered one a few times. Just felt a bit wonky not ergo to me. To each his own.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Pretty good price though. Any reason you would get this over say the basic magpul colt they sell for the same price? Interesting gun for the money

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They shoot OK despite the lousy trigger. The one really interesting feature IMO is that they take down super quick and can easily fit into a backpack with the stock folded and barrel removed. For a lots of shooters at $850 they might be an interesting add to a collection but I certainly wouldn't recommend them over an AR, SCAR, BREN 601, AUG etc as your primary 5.56 weapon.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It is my primary 556 rifle.

It can be shot for thousands of rounds without cleaning. Cleanest running rifle I’ve ever owned or used. It was designed for .mil and is in use by several countries, 556 and 762X39. MAC had his up to something stupid like 5000 rounds without cleaning. Built to run like a Swiss watch.

It breaks down with no tools, in seconds. Barrel removal can be done in the same time it takes you to take a Glock apart. Lower, bolt, everything can be taken completely down faster than anything I’ve used. Stupid fast.

It is light, again the Glock comparison. Very light rifle. And surprisingly, the recoil is minimal. It’s not a .22 but damn is it the lightest recoiling 556 semi-auto I’ve used. Great piston system.

Reliability is there. It has dual extractors so break one and you are still in the fight. Dual or ambi charging isn’t anything I use often but I do switch ejection frequently. Has real world use if you ever needed it but I mostly use the feature for outdoor lane use when I have one person on one side and not on the other.

Obviously I love mine. But I’m not an “AR guy” as I have never liked DI and always preferred piston rifles. I’ve got an AR in the form of a lower (legislation insurance) and it remains in my safe unused as I’ve always run piston 556’s. For my needs it’s the best solution on the market. Shooting Sight makes an excellent trigger for it. Night and day. But I will say the newer ARX’s you’ll find on the shelves at Academy have a better trigger out of the box then the first ones. I bought my first one a few months after they hit the shelves, and that was after years of watching development and waiting for it to hit the market. I bought the OEM 10” Beretta barrel and stamped it. That’s my primary rifle. I recently took advantage of the Academy deal at $879 and bought a second one because yes I like it that much. You’ll want to buy the Beretta accessories, picatinny rail, and charging handle. Rail is currently on sale for $20, charging handle is $17. You’ll also want to ditch the factory sights. I’ve got MBus Pros on mine, and an Elcan. It in SBR form, if the can is off it, you can fit it in a tiny pack or backpack and nobody would be the wiser.

I can afford to run what I want and I’ve got a pair. I paid about $500 more for my first and have never regretted it. My only complaint is the lack of QD but that is minor. Reading about it online, spec sheets, etc, meh. You need to fire one and break it down. It will make sense then, especially at this price. I will say that I’m not or never been much concerned with what others run. Anything that goes up against the mighty AR well that’s all uphill for any mfr. Beretta delivered an outstanding rifle. Anything under a grand is a steal. But I will also say that I run a Blaser Tac2 over a Sako, Tikka, or AI because I like it better and it can swap calibers. So not afraid to go against the herd.

Beretta’s factory move to a free state (MD to TN) has delayed the caliber conversions. Right now just the sbr 556 available. And you have to order the 10.25” barrel from Beretta. They are supposed to have the new factory up and running 100% next Spring. My Beretta sb box has 6.8, 7.62X39, 5.45X39, and 300blk marked on the box. So my dick is hard for the Ak conversions. Bug out or shtf, it would be in my bag with the AK conversion. If you love the AR making the switch to a 3rd gen might be difficult as they don’t make tassels and what not for it. Big Grin

I’ve talked to Beretta recently. Made a call about PX4’s (another not popular firearm I am quite fond of) recently and asked a few ARX questions. It is not going anywhere. Beretta has a deal with Academy. You’ll find the PX4’s and the ARX160 (.22 Umarex version of the ARX100) at every Acedemy for fair prices so Beretta has a deal in place with that chain of stores. Gun sales are slow hence the price drop. If you were an AR guy, yeah at $1500 a hard sell to you. At $850-879, buy it and thank me later. They’ve already made a .308 version it’s just not here yet. I also have the ARX160 for a trainer when I don’t want to blow 556 money at the range. It gets flack like the Glock got when it came out. A lot of plastic, different looks, and slightly different ergos. Just how it goes with change. Good luck to anything that isn’t the AR-15. People do not like change.

Good luck.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
It is my primary 556 rifle...

Good luck.

can you post some pictures? I'd love to see it

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bug out or shtf, it would be in my bag with the AK conversion.

Chromed or nitroned barrels? Which mags will they use?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Good luck.

Only picture I have on my phone. Taken right after I got my stamp. I haven't taken a picture of my new one.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Bug out or shtf, it would be in my bag with the AK conversion.

Chromed or nitroned barrels? Which mags will they use?

Barrel is cold hammer forged and chrome lined.

USGI, Lancer L5, Magpul Gen 2 Pmags.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Good luck.

Only picture I have on my phone. Taken right after I got my stamp. I haven't taken a picture of my new one.

Does yours have a folding stock? If so, when folded what is the SBR OAL? THX

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
All of them have a folding stock.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I really wanted one of these, but once I found out you couldnt swap the pistol grip out like on an AR, I passed. That A2 style grip just doesnt work for me.

Some have whined about this, but they got over it and ground off the bump, much like grinding off finger grooves of a Glock. I didn't like it either at first but once I shot the damn thing it was something of the past. Soft shooting rifle. The grip, you get used to it in a single range session and it's no longer a concern.
As I said earlier, the hardcore AR guys are never going to like no matter what, grip or no grip. It can't be customized to the extent an AR can so some people, no matter what, aren't going to go for it. But once it is shot, disassembled, and you see the entire package, while it doesn't allow the AR customization, it has and does many things an AR does not.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. It definitely looks like a solid rifle. If Beretta can get the conversion kits out I think this would really take off. I don't really need another 5.56 carbine but if I could swap it over to 7.62X39...I'm going to mull it over the next few days. If they are still priced like this I might jump.

A few quick questions. Do the front side rails come off? My biggest pet peeve about my SCAR is the bottom and side rails. I have no use for them and they are uncomfortable and wide. With covers they are just extra wide (although I just found out PMM makes some 'rail delete' pieces I will definitely be ordering). Also does the charging handle reciprocate? I remember reading it does not but now I can't find where I read that.

Thanks.

ETA: I notice you have a cheek riser. How is the weld with just the stock and iron sights? Mrgunsandgear did mention something about "chin" weld using the irons (if I remember correctly).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yes you can take those side rails off. As the rifle comes from the factory, it has a small cover on the bottom rail, that is completely smooth. To get a picatinny on the bottom you have to spend the extra $20 for that from Beretta. If you go to their website you’ll see the rifle with the smooth cover on the bottom.

Yes the charging handle reciprocates. You pull back on it to the indention on the frame, pull out, then you can flip it to the right or left, push it back in and let the bolt go home.

I don’t remember about the cheek weld. A guy on the Beretta forum makes the risers for cheap and mounted it as soon as I put my Elcan on it. I prefer the rifle with it, others see no need so user preference.

Go play with one if you can. Get the gun shop employee to find the manual. You can completely disassemble the damn thing faster than I could type it up. Changing the charging side to side is seconds, no disassembly required. Ejection you can change by a press of a button with a bullet tip.

Like you I heavily want the 762X39 and 5.45X39 conversions. That will be a kit with a new lower. They were thoughtful in how they made it, the upper is the serialized portion. I am so pleased with it if the AK conversions never come I will not cry and would buy again, and did. But I’m hopeful once the factory is up and running in Tennessee we’ll see them come. I do know that 300blk will be the first conversion kit. The Italian military have been using it for years and several armed forces are using 762X39 versions as we’ve seen pics in the wild.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Now that my interest is peaked on one of these, they are all sold out at $849.00 price.

Unless I am reading it wrong Academy only sells them instore?

Anyone else have a lead on them at that great price?

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sigforum cost me money again. I was traveling today and happened to pass an Academy. Hooked a quick u-turn to check out this gun. Bought one for $879. Very cool rifle. I'm also intrigued by the included steel stanag magazine with non-tilt metal follower. The magazine is supposedly made in Italy and just oozes heavy duty quality, in my opinion. I will buy more, as well as all the other accessories available on the Beretta website.

Looking to add magazines, I was going to look at Magpul emags (for European spec guns) but those appear to be discontinued. So I guess Magpul Moe gen 2 is good enough for these? I already have plenty of GI aluminum mags.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yeah Gen 2 Pmags, and Lancer L5AWM. I train with the G2 Magpuls but my duty mags are the Lancers.

posted Hide Post
It looks big and kind of clunky but man do I want one. When they first came out the prices were insane, now they are actually pretty reasonable around $850.00 for a couple I was looking at. I almost snagged one but the wife just shook her head no.One day it will be mine.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I missed it. I checked it on a Wednesday and it was $803 and when I clicked on it it was sold out. I'll keep looking. I did buy a few Beretta magazines though. They are nice. I bought 4 last week and they are very high quality with a steel anti-tilt follower. They will take a little elbow grease to get going as mine came slathered in a cosmolione like substance, but they are great. Very hefty. They appear to be actual Italian military mags as they have an NSN on them. On the left side close to the front it reads "PB 12 1005-15-108-2741 M".

PB is Pietro Beretta I assume, 12 might be year of build, and the NSN follows normal format. 1005 for weapons from 1-30mm, 15 for country code (Italy), and the remaining 7 numbers for the item ID. The "M" after the string is a different font, not sure what it is but only three of the four I bought have it.

Weighing them on my postal scale I got (empty):

4.0oz - Okay w/Magpul follower
5.0oz - MCT Gen 3 PMag
8.5oz - Beretta steel mag

It also locks in and drops free from my SCAR 16 and does not interfere with the bolt hold open. I'll probably buy a few more.

I got a good pic of the one without the "M"