SIGforum
What distance to zero a supressed .17HMR?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4110096964

May 01, 2020, 06:48 PM
lizardman_u
What distance to zero a supressed .17HMR?
What distance would you zero a Savage Heavy barreled .17HMR bolt action with a 5.56 can attached?

I had the barrel threaded (cut off an inch of barrel, threaded that for a thread protector; re-crowned and threaded the barrel to add a quick disconnect). I put my YHM 5.56 can on and it is super quiet.

My question is at what distance would you zero? I am thinking a zero at 100 yards, but am thinking that might be too far.

I would like to at least set my zero at 50 yards, but prefer a zero at 100 yards like I have my deer rifle.

Thank you,
Dave

May 01, 2020, 07:00 PM
PGT
Zero it at the distance you intend to use it most with.
May 02, 2020, 12:24 AM
wingspar
I would start at 25 yards. When happy, move to 50 yards. Then if you want/need to move to 100 yards. I think you will find that the 50 yard zero will almost put you on the money at 100 yards.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
May 04, 2020, 08:07 AM
RHINOWSO
I have mine zeroed mine at 50 yards, which is essentially a 100 yard zero +/-0.5 inches.

It is very flat shooting with that zero.

Like others, I'll start at 25 and put it where I expect it to be (usually a tad low for most calibers), then kick it out to 50 and beyond to tighten up at the desired range.

May 05, 2020, 12:25 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I have mine zeroed mine at 50 yards, which is essentially a 100 yard zero +/-0.5 inches.

It is very flat shooting with that zero.

Like others, I'll start at 25 and put it where I expect it to be (usually a tad low for most calibers), then kick it out to 50 and beyond to tighten up at the desired range.

That chart is very helpful.

OP I would pick the trajectory from that chart that will give you the best results based on expected distances you will be shooting and target size.
May 05, 2020, 09:25 PM
lizardman_u
Thank you all very much.

May 09, 2020, 04:40 PM
RHINOWSO
Glad we could help.

17HMR is a great round - all the best of rimfire (no recoil, relatively quiet suppressed - you'll still get the 'crack' of it going supersonic, but that's it) but you get the nice flat trajectory of a centerfire round. Wind will buck it around a bit if it's blowing, but you also get a lot less of a chance of a ricochet if you miss since the light round pretty much comes apart when it hits something hard, unlike a solid, heavier 22LR or 22MAG.

My kids like seeing the subsonic 22LR make holes in clay pidgins on the berms, hitting them multiple times - then seeing 17HMR just shatter them with a single shot.
May 10, 2020, 10:34 AM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Ultimately yes but START where you can get it on paper.
May 10, 2020, 03:27 PM
Jimbo54
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Ultimately yes but START where you can get it on paper.

This is true for most rifle/caliber combinations in my opinion unless you have a bore sight of some kind which will put you on paper a lot further out.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
May 18, 2020, 11:38 PM
Sourkraut
I have my suppressed Savage 17 HMR sighted in at 100 yards.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis