SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Custom 700 pawn shop find
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 700 pawn shop find Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Here’s another neat find
700 SA 243

Looks like a Douglas barrel, the gunsmith is about an hour from Douglas and it looks right for one of theirs
24” and tapers up quickly from the muzzle

HS Precision aluminum pillar bedded stock

Factory trigger is tuned below 2lbs

Had a cheap Konus scope, threw a spare Leupold on it I had in the safe, looks much better now

Don’t think I got hurt at $300.... Smile

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Yeah, 700 action alone gonna be 300 bucks.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
VERY nice find!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you paid $300 I wonder how much the pawn shop gave the original owner? $150?

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nice grab.

I love pawn shops that live and die by the blue book. I barely frequent the educated shops, except for specialty collector guns.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Looks like a Douglas barrel, the gunsmith is about an hour from Douglas and it looks right for one of theirs

I thought Douglas marked all their barrels.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
quote:

Only “front door” barrels fitted by Douglas are marked
If you know someone there you can get a barrel fitted, but it won’t be stamped

If it was sold to a gunsmith , the Case of my rifle I think, it won’t be marked either
The gunsmith will stamp it at their shop

The bottom of the barrel by the action will have initials stamped there sometimes as well

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Sweet find.
I have Rem 700 in .223 and .308.
Excellent shooters.
Good luck with your new toys.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If it was sold to a gunsmith , the Case of my rifle I think, it won’t be marked either

The bottom of the barrel by the action will have initials stamped there sometimes as well

I knew the X marking indicated Douglas fit barrels, but I thought all their barrels had a marking (even if on the bottom) showing they were made by Douglass. But again I "thought". Evidently I'm wrong.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet, Id buy that for 300 bucks...

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I knew the X marking indicated Douglas fit barrels, but I thought all their barrels had a marking (even if on the bottom) showing they were made by Douglass. But again I "thought". Evidently I'm wrong.

You may be right, I think the xx is the premium air gauges barrel, and that’s all they use when fitting in house, and I think they sell retail marked barrels to like midway or brownells, so those would be marked

Heck, I had a ss 10/22 barrel from there one time

--Riff Raff--

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Score!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Range report required!

Nice Find!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Range report required!

Nice Find!

We will find out how it shoots Saturday morning!

--Riff Raff--