SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Swamp Fox 1-8x Scopes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Swamp Fox 1-8x Scopes Login/Join 
Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted
Where are they manufactured.??
Does anyone have experience with them?
Thanks




"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."


 
Posts: 21571 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
looks like the same factory stamping out vortex's crossfire line... straight out of china
 
Posts: 1161 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If it's a cheap 1-8x, solid bet it's Chinese.

But shit, with a name like Swamp Fox Tactical TOMAHAWK LPVO RIFLESCOPE w/ Guerrilla Dot BDC, that is just too legit to quit.

Gotta be good with a name like that! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

But honestly, all their stuff looks like rebrands of the Vortex & SIG Chinese Budget lineup, from Red Dots to Optics.
 
Posts: 43763 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
With six, you get eggroll.


_____________________

Old. Male. White. Love the USA. Not sorry.
 
Posts: 10932 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
Oh well, doomed again. I would like a 1-6 or 1-8 scope but $1100 without the mount is a little pricey for my stage in life.
Looks like I am going to have to sell my 10.5" Aero pistol/

Thanks guys. This is another case of the truth hurting.




"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."


 
Posts: 21571 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For those looking for a relatively inexpensive yet still quality 1-6, I would recommend the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24.

They run about $500-600, are about 80% of the Razor 1-6x in terms of quality, and made in the Philippines (instead of Japan like the Razor).

Daylight bright, true 1x to my eye, and durable.

I actually bought a Razor-E and returned it, as I didn't see much better at twice the price.

DSG Arms has some bundles with mounts, etc at pretty nice prices.

https://dsgarms.com/search?q=pst+gen+2
 
Posts: 43763 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Oh well, doomed again. I would like a 1-6 or 1-8 scope but $1100 without the mount is a little pricey for my stage in life.
Looks like I am going to have to sell my 10.5" Aero pistol/

Thanks guys. This is another case of the truth hurting.



Check out the Vortex Viper PST GenII 1-6.

They can be found for around $550.

Or the Steiner P4Xi. It is a 1-4 but it has great glass and a great reticle. Light weight too.


ETA: Beat by rhino
 
Posts: 13468 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
So far the only 1-8 that I have seen that truly hits the mark in quality and clarity from top to bottoms is the Nightforce ATACR (holy $moke$) and the Trijicon 1-8 FFP.


Anything else gives up clarity, exit pupil, etc.

The NX8 is sleek and lightweight but from what I have read it is difficult to use at 8x and the reticle is too thick at higher magnification.


There are a lot of good 1-6x scopes on the market. It is tougher to make a good 1-8 than a 1-6.


You will be happier with a $500 1-4/6 than with a $500 1-8.


I routinely hit 10 inch plates out to 500-600 yards with a 1-6 on a 5.56 AR. Magnification isn't everything.


Reticle design becomes very important if you try to stretch a LPVO out to longer distances. Use of a reticle is subjective.

I use a MRAD 'christmas tree' type reticle on my PRS gas gun rifle. For quick and dirty 3-gun 'practical' type matches I want a good BDC, and don't care much for MRAD stadia lines.

There is no one 'right' answer when it comes to reticle. It all depends on what makes sense to the individual shooter.
 
Posts: 13468 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For those looking for a relatively inexpensive yet still quality 1-6, I would recommend the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24.

They run about $500-600, are about 80% of the Razor 1-6x in terms of quality, and made in the Philippines (instead of Japan like the Razor).

Daylight bright, true 1x to my eye, and durable.

I actually bought a Razor-E and returned it, as I didn't see much better at twice the price.

DSG Arms has some bundles with mounts, etc at pretty nice prices.

https://dsgarms.com/search?q=pst+gen+2



This link that Rhino provided is a good source.

Good prices and DSG is very reputable. The PST Gen2 lineup is solid.
 
Posts: 13468 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Anything else gives up clarity, exit pupil, etc.

The NX8 is sleek and lightweight but from what I have read it is difficult to use at 8x and the reticle is too thick at higher magnification.
As you say, everything is a compromise.

I have a MOA NX8 and bought it after returning the Razor-E; yes I don't see the hype for the Razor compared to the PST Gen 2. It's got better illum (almost too bright, but that's another story) but for $600 I'd rather have 2 PST 1-6s than one Razor for the type of shooting I do (<400yds). Maybe if out west with longer ranges, trying to stretch things the glass difference would become clear.

Anyway, I'm a big NX8 fan; again for my kind of shooting and understanding at 8x it's a compromise. It'll never be an ATACR nor was it designed to be. I think it fits a 5.56 AR-15 lightweight DMR or Carbine setup very well.

Heck, I'm going shooting in an hour and wasn't planning on bringing the NX8 rifle (have several other to zero and check after mods), but now I'm trying to figure a way to bring it! Big Grin Big Grin

An ATACR 1-8x is on my potential list of wants for my CM762, which is currently using the PST Gen 2 1-6x24.
 
Posts: 43763 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Anything else gives up clarity, exit pupil, etc.

The NX8 is sleek and lightweight but from what I have read it is difficult to use at 8x and the reticle is too thick at higher magnification.
As you say, everything is a compromise.

I have a MOA NX8 and bought it after returning the Razor-E; yes I don't see the hype for the Razor compared to the PST Gen 2. It's got better illum (almost too bright, but that's another story) but for $600 I'd rather have 2 PST 1-6s than one Razor for the type of shooting I do (<400yds). Maybe if out west with longer ranges, trying to stretch things the glass difference would become clear.

Anyway, I'm a big NX8 fan; again for my kind of shooting and understanding at 8x it's a compromise. It'll never be an ATACR nor was it designed to be. I think it fits a 5.56 AR-15 lightweight DMR or Carbine setup very well.

Heck, I'm going shooting in an hour and wasn't planning on bringing the NX8 rifle (have several other to zero and check after mods), but now I'm trying to figure a way to bring it! Big Grin Big Grin

An ATACR 1-8x is on my potential list of wants for my CM762, which is currently using the PST Gen 2 1-6x24.



I kinda wish that they had made an NX-6. Same weight and footprint but with a little less top end.
 
Posts: 13468 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I kinda wish that they had made an NX-6. Same weight and footprint but with a little less top end.

Or you could dial up only to 6x...
 
Posts: 6239 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the help. I will just have to save a little more or sell a few more things. I think the right answer is a 1-6x based on your inputs.




"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."


 
Posts: 21571 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I kinda wish that they had made an NX-6. Same weight and footprint but with a little less top end.

Or you could dial up only to 6x...



Yes but it seems it takes optical sacrifices at the lower magnifications to offer the additional 2x on the upper end.
 
Posts: 13468 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Primary Arms 1-6x24 for my Ruger American Ranch bolt-action rifle. For the money ($399), I'm happy with it.
 
Posts: 964 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I kinda wish that they had made an NX-6. Same weight and footprint but with a little less top end.
Yeah, but 1-8x is the new hotness, so everyone would complain that they were years behind Vortext & Leupold.

I didn't get to bring the NX8 today but plan to this weekend. The Vortex PST 1-6 worked great again on the CM762, just a quick function check as I had changed the trigger to an MBT-2 and replaced the Colt RE with a LMT RE to get the 6-positions vice 4. Just 20 quick rounds on steel at 100/200/300, no issues.

The ATACR 1-8 would fit nicely on the CM762 I think, but I'll probably stick with the Vortex for the time being.

One thing is there are many options, limited only by your budget.
 
Posts: 43763 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
ATACR 1-8 was also checked out. I need a golf cart more. Smile

The reticle is not good for me on the PST. It is the right price but I need a circle dot or close to it.




"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."


 
Posts: 21571 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Depending on your expected use... I have a couple of Primary Arms 1x6-24 ACSS scopes. I personally use the predator reticle. They run about $350 give or take with the mount and have a lifetime warranty. They also offer a military discount. Would I like a better scope? Not really, I can use the extra money elsewhere. The Primary Arms scopes do what I need them to. I shoot at my property and plan deer hunt with mine. Go check out some reviews, I think you may be pleased...
 
Posts: 1840 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I mean at the price point, Vortex Strike Eagle and Primary Arms scopes are likely your best bet. They have fantastic warranties, so get it, shoot it, beat it, and no worries.

You aren't going to get a high end US made scope for <$500 in the 1-6x power range. Nobody makes them.

There are Leupold Patrols 1.25-4x with a circle dot in the $500 range, but honestly if it doesn't go to 1x, I'm not interested.

Another option to consider, the Burris MTAC 1-4x24.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/s...-riflescope-1-4x24mm

At Natchez Shooters you get get several models for <$400. Made in the PI with a number of reticles. I bought one for $250 on sale for my loaner AR-15. Looks to be very close to 1x, illum isn't daylight bright but they have some circle reticles, mine has the ballistic AR version. I have always been happy with the glass quality in Burris for budget optics ( have 2 of their scopes / Droptine & Timberline on CZ 22LRs ). Warranty is also good.

https://outdoors.natchezss.com...=mtac&af=power%3a14x
 
Posts: 43763 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For those looking for a relatively inexpensive yet still quality 1-6, I would recommend the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24.

They run about $500-600, are about 80% of the Razor 1-6x in terms of quality, and made in the Philippines (instead of Japan like the Razor).

Daylight bright, true 1x to my eye, and durable.

I actually bought a Razor-E and returned it, as I didn't see much better at twice the price.

DSG Arms has some bundles with mounts, etc at pretty nice prices.

https://dsgarms.com/search?q=pst+gen+2


Everything said here. I did a ton of research before switching to LPVO for work. I did exactly this and couldn't be happier with the decision.
 
Posts: 3666 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Swamp Fox 1-8x Scopes

© SIGforum 2019