SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a new rifle--What do you know about LMT?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new rifle--What do you know about LMT? Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted
Tell me about Lewis Machine and Tool. Looking at a new rifle in 5.56. Looking at a LMT MARS MRP. What can you tell me about them?

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Tier military Grade AR's with easily interchangeable barrels. Highly Recommended!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Great rifles.

I've got an DI MRP that's been rocking for pushing 8 or so years now. Don't think I've ever had any stoppage.

Started out as a 16", but I Form 1ed it a few months ago and put on an 11.5" barrel. Super simple swap--even if the cost of the barrel is a ball-buster.

Rifles are great, and I'd love to get an M-Lok MRP upper since the picatinny is heavier and a bit too girthy--but I don't have a kidney to sell for another upper.

I do plan on upgrading to their one of their Enhanced BCGs since I'm now running a suppressor on the gun.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Showing up at the range with an LMT today would be like showing up at the range with P226 back in the 80's. Everyone wanted one but few could or would pay the cost of entry. Instant street cred.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High quality rifle, built well, rock solid, quick barrel changes, lots of rail space.

Now the question is -- what will the rail space and quick barrel changes do for you? If you don't have a bunch of doo-dads on your rails and you don't frequently change barrels, then these features mean little. Maybe nothing.

In other words, how often do you change calibers or barrel lengths on a given rifle? Most people just slap a different upper on a given lower. Partly due to the low cost of uppers right now. Partly due to changing a barrel almost certainly requires some adjustments to sights or optics.

Very few people ever wear out an barrel in their lifetime. Have you shot one out yet? With LMT's system, you have to replace the old barrel with another LMT. You have a boat load of brand brand & type options with traditional AR barrels, and a whole lot more options in pricing, too.

It comes down to what you want to do with your new rifle. I think LMTs are fine rifles, but I think there are better options out there for most shooters.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the above comments are true and accurate.

I have an LMT defender as my work gun, and a MARS lower and New Zealand upper. I'm waiting on the enhanced bolt & BCG. I beat the hell out of my work gun, and has yet to fail me. A few friends who are PMC's swear by them, and won't get anything else.

The CQB & MRP uppers are heavy. I'd look at the MLR or the SLK M-8 style upper receivers. A lot lighter!
Changing barrels is easy, 2 bolts, pull out the old, put in the new, tighten bolts. Done.
You can switch from 5.56 to .300 BLK, and different lengths if you so desire.

They are pricey. There's other AR's out there that are just as reliable and cost less, and if you want/need to change caliber or length, with the way prices are, you can just get a different upper/uppers.

When you pull a LMT or an H&K out of the case at a range, everyone takes notice.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
Looking at a new rifle in 5.56.

What is your intended use for the new rifle? HD, competition, plinking, varmint hunting, just making noise, something else?

My primary use of any AR is competition. This includes precision targets at distance, fast engagements of multiple targets up close, shooting from barriers, shooting from compromised positions, and shooting on the move. It's safe to state that when a competitor uncases a rifle, the rest of us look at the following:
- Is the rifle suppressed? If so, the shooter has respect for the hearing of other competitors and RSOs. Woohoo.

- Is the barrel cerakoted or raw steel? If cerkoted, this is likely the rifle's first barrel. If uncoated steel, this shooter has been around long enough to shoot out at least one barrel. Woohoo.

- Are there some wear marks on the handguards, scope turrets, and magazines? If so, the shooter has used this rifle quite a bit. Woohoo.

- After the day's results are posted, what are the times and what are the scores? If good, we have a shooter. Yee-frickin-haw.

In our competitions, nobody really cares how little or how much one spends on a rifle. What competitors do look at:
- What optic is the shooter using? This is the rifle's steering system.
- What barrel is on the rifle? This is the primary component which determines accuracy potential.
Brands don't matter all that much. We've seen people win and lose with rifles from the most bargain builds to the most expensive prestige & beautique brands.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Looking at a new rifle in 5.56.

What is your intended use for the new rifle? HD, competition, plinking, varmint hunting, just making noise, something else?

My primary use of any AR is competition. This includes precision targets at distance, fast engagements of multiple targets up close, shooting from barriers, shooting from compromised positions, and shooting on the move. It's safe to state that when a competitor uncases a rifle, the rest of us look at the following:
- Is the rifle suppressed? If so, the shooter has respect for the hearing of other competitors and RSOs. Woohoo.

- Is the barrel cerakoted or raw steel? If cerkoted, this is likely the rifle's first barrel. If uncoated steel, this shooter has been around long enough to shoot out at least one barrel. Woohoo.

- Are there some wear marks on the handguards, scope turrets, and magazines? If so, the shooter has used this rifle quite a bit. Woohoo.

- After the day's results are posted, what are the times and what are the scores? If good, we have a shooter. Yee-frickin-haw.

In our competitions, nobody really cares how little or how much one spends on a rifle. What competitors do look at:
- What optic is the shooter using? This is the rifle's steering system.
- What barrel is on the rifle? This is the primary component which determines accuracy potential.
Brands don't matter all that much. We've seen people win and lose with rifles from the most bargain builds to the most expensive prestige & beautique brands.

Thanks for the info! My intentions is that this will be a multi-use rifle. Primarily HD, but useful for competition as well. I would prefer something on the lighter side, but will not quibble over a couple of ounces here or there.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I don't consider the MRP "on the lighter side", if compared to something like a BCM with MCMR and a lighter profile barrel. I think my 14.7" MCMR is still lighter than my 11.5" MRP...and the BCM gun has an optic, while the LMT does not. This is my perception; I've never put them on the scale.

Also, it looks like there's over a half pound difference between the quad-rail MRP and the M-lok MRP, so that's pretty significant.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
LMT? Top notch all the. LMT is or was an OEM supplier of BCGs for Colt. That alone should tell you a lot.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
LMT rifles are great, but wouldn't be my first choice if weight was an issue.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I decided on a LMT MARS MRP MLR with a M-lock handguard. They are going to install the Enhanced BCG.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
I decided on a LMT MARS MRP MLR with a M-lock handguard. They are going to install the Enhanced BCG.

Excellent choice!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The British Army and Royal Marines love 'em to bits.

I'd love to have even the straight-pull version which is all we can have here in yUK, butr at $6000 plus bits it's way past my spend-scale.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Top notch as mentioned. I have a PWA Commando lower receiver which was the precursor to LMT and a LMT Defender DI. Great rifles.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
While good stuff. I have some of their product. In the last ten or so years to a great degree they gave up on the civi market and went crazy expensive to any dripping they offered to it. So I went elsewhere, where there are many great choices.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
LMT is a great company. I have a MRP CQB direct imp from approx. 10 years ago and it a high quality rifle. Also have one their standard carbine uppers on a CMMG lower. Buy with absolute confidence.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used LMT parts on a number of my builds. I actively seek them out when I can. They are good parts, made to spec. and you just can't do much better.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
LMT is phenomenal. After the ban the first AR I "built" was an LMT. At the time they didn't sell complete rifles and getting a Colt was next to impossible so I got a complete LMT lower, upper, and BCG. First class all the way. Anytime I put something together I use an LMT bolt or BCG.

I kind of got out of building rifles and just buy factory Colts now but a few months ago I decided I wanted a 308 AR so I picked up a stripped MARS-H lower and put it together with all LMT parts. Should have the upper and barrel by Christmas. I also got a MARS-L stripped lower just to have. The MARS lowers are the best ambi's I have handled. My FFL was like "Dam they sell these stripped? Nice!". The rival of KAC in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with LMT.

<crappy pic of my MARS-L and MARS-H lowers>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
LMTs are top tier and won the bid for the British DMR program.

Tip of the day: on gunbroker do a search for "Defender 2000" without mentioning MRP. A lot of gun shops take in used LMT MRP carbines and since all of their receivers are marked the same they will simply list them as Defender models without saying its an MRP. I've won a few rifles around $1,000 that way.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post