SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New marlins?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New marlins? Login/Join 
posted
Have a older, 1983 marlin 336. Perfect.

Kinda curious about the black/dark 336 they announced. 30/30 with 16.5 barrel. Sights and a rail.
Haven't seen one in person. Heard the new, new marlins are much better? Reviews are positive, except for triggers, but could fix that.

Any info/opinion?

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new Marlin "Dark" model with threaded barrel caught my eye as well. It's my understanding that Marlin quality has come a long way since their acquisition by the Freedom Group. It was very poor those first few years. I've not seen one first hand either, but I'm sure interested. Would definitely love to have a suppressed 336!

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
By the accounts I’ve encountered, Remlins have slowly made ground against Remingtons attempts to destroy the reputation of Marlins. While they are not quite there, in my opinion, they have improved. As is the case with any firearm, a detailed hands on inspection is preferable; with a Remlin it is practically mandatory. Unless it is Wally-World, bring snap caps or dummy rounds if the proprietor is nice enough to allow you to cycle them. Pay close attention to sight alignment- I still see new guns from time to time with a canted, out of radius front sight.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A recent 1895sbl I acquired seems to work well. Smooth and accurate. No complaints.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new marlin 1894 this year. It had a bad habit of jamming up, sent it back 3 times. they finally sent me a new one, it works flawless. trigger is way off my scale, more than the rifle weight. I've owned and still own a bunch of marlin lever actions. this first 44 is the only one I ever had a problem with. its not the black rifle, but same stuff.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I like the threaded barrel on the Dark series. Not at all impressed with the stock. It looks like a high school kid spray painted it. Same price as the grey laminated stock. Action felt smooth , as well as the trigger.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I like the threaded barrel on the Dark series. Not at all impressed with the stock. It looks like a high school kid spray painted it. Same price as the grey laminated stock. Action felt smooth , as well as the trigger.

My experience as well. The one I handled at the NRA show felt like somebody had covered a stock in truck bedliner. Action felt fine. I like the threaded barrel idea and the scout rail, but I'd rather have it with the regular wood furniture.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I bought an 1894 CST late last year. It’s been fine. The trigger is not as bad as described here. There’s a few issues, the stock doesn’t fit seamlessly against the frame like on my Henry.

The stock does feel like spray painted wood. I like the rubber overmold on the Taylors Alaskan better but if it really bothered me, I’d get a laminate stock or something.

I like it overall and I’ve wanted a .357 lever for some time but if Henry does one in an all weather with a loading gate, I’ll probably trade it.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post