SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope ring recommendation for Weaver bases needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope ring recommendation for Weaver bases needed Login/Join 
posted
Howdy folks!
Bought a Ruger American that came with Weaver bases.
Looking at 1" Burris Zee scope rings.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: isolator,

To all Veterans: your sacrifices are not forgotten. Your sacrifices are honored. Welcome home. For those not home yet, please know that many of us pray for your safe return soon.

Posts: 587 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I like Ruger's M77, especially the original ones but I'd take the Tikka T3x any day. However before you walk away with the rifle, check the magazine fit.

My friend has a T3x tactical and the magazine drops out too easily. I think it is just the extended "tactical" mag that does this as the regular ones seem fine.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx xl!
Appreciate the insight

To all Veterans: your sacrifices are not forgotten. Your sacrifices are honored. Welcome home. For those not home yet, please know that many of us pray for your safe return soon.

Posts: 587 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally different rifles but both are good.

The t3x is lighter so if you're planning on hiking or backpack hunting, sheep hunting or something it's probably the better choice.

Rugers are classics. I like the 77 a lot but it's really a different gun than a t3x.

Go handle both, the tikkas have a great reputation but they have never really done much for me, I have one and I like it but don't love it. One cool thing about the tikkas is that there's lots of aftermarket upgrades for them if you're into that.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Ruger Hawkeye M77 and bought it for the features a good bolt rifle has: controlled feed, claw extraction and three position safety. It and the pre-64 styled Winchester Model 70 (another one I own) share those features. The safeties on both guns are different but similar enough that I can live with either. Not to through a wrench in your wheels but the Winchester is also worth looking at and considering. What caliber are you looking to buy?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Tikka T3x Stainless

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kaschi,
Want to stick with .308 because I already have a decent supply.
Had a really nice pre-'64 Model 70 in 30-06 that I regret selling.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I like Rugers for the same reason Kaschi mentioned... controlled round feed, heavy duty extractor, 3 position safety. Also has a great scope mounting system.

The Hawkeye trigger is a bit better than the MK II but it's not great. Probably ok for a hunting rifle but the first thing many do is drop in a Timney or a Rifle Basix.

The Tikka is pretty different. Whereas the Ruger is a tank of a rifle but not sleek shooting or super accurate, the Tikka feels a bit cheap but shines in the accuracy department.

That said, my M77 MK II will shoot under 1.5" with factory ammo all day long and that is plenty accurate for me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T3, a pre 64 Winchester, and will be picking up a Ruger 77 Mark II from a friend this weekend.

The T3 is nice. It's light, great trigger, very accurate, and reasonably good looking. But it isn't a Winchester 70, or Ruger 77 in look or feel. It has a 2 position safety, not 3, and a plastic removable magazine, not a floor plate magazine. This means you can't load it by pressing rounds through an open bolt, you must remove the mag to add a round or unload the gun. The T3 has a two lug, smooth bolt with Sako extractor and plunger ejector, not a controlled round feed Mauser pattern action with rear locking lug. The T3 stock is nice wood, but seems to be checkered with a bead blasting process or a branding process, rather than traditional cut checkering.

This isn't to say I don't like the T3; I do, quite a bit. But I think the T3 is expensive for what it is. Tikka has built a well deserved and enviable reputation for smooth operation, great triggers and excellent accuracy. That performance has given them market pricing power that exceeds the look and feel of the gun.

So both are fine firearms. The Ruger is a more traditional and elegant rifle than the Tikka, in my opinion.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I picked up a .270WIN T3x Lite Stainless in December, added a scope in February & finally got it to the range last weekend.
Very happy with it so far.
No mag issues with the standard 3 round magazine that came with it.

Mine, with the scope & related bits, weighs in at just over 8 lbs with an empty magazine.

The only M77 I have any experience with, was a heavy barrel M77 MKII Target in 22-250. From what I recall, a heavy rifle with a nice laminated stock, quite a nice shooter, but I believe a good bit more expensive, as compared to the Tikka.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
The man wants a deer hunting rifle. He's not hunting game in Africa. He doesn't need controlled feed, etc. etc.

You can hunt deer with pretty much anything that gives you the capability of connecting with that deer.

I've hunted deer with shotguns in 12 and 20 ga. and a few different rifles.

I've owned a Ruger M77 (not the Hawkeye) in .280 Rem since 1984. I enjoy shooting that rifle. Its walnut and blued steel and its very accurate. It has push feed but I can run the bolt with the rifle upside down and it will still chamber a round every time.

Today, if you gave me the choice of going on a deer hunt and offered me a choice of a Tikka T3x in .308 and my M77 in .280, I would opt for the Tikka with a synthetic stock. It's accurate enough to a couple of hundred yards.
It's stock can take a beating, it won't change POI from the cold or heat or humidity.
I wouldn't feel really bad if I took a tumble and damaged the rifle.

On the other hand both rifles will end up taking the deer so I guess it comes down to personal preference and price

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input gents.
Picked up a Ruger American in .308 today as timing and price were just right.
Maybe a Tikka down the road but this Ruger should put deer in the freezer if I do my part.