SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is this a shotgun or an “other”?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a shotgun or an “other”? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
How can PSA sell this? I thought an “other” had to be an “other” from start to finish?

I know my shockwave had to come that way from the factory...

https://palmettostatearmory.co...Browse+Abandonment+3

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
It is a shotgun. The barrel in 18.5 inches.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, 18.5 inch barrel makes it legal in some states. There may be states that have a minimum overall length for shotguns that is longer than the Federal minimum. IF so that handgrip might take that length under a state minimum. Now I'm just guessing here but the specs list the OAL at 39 inches and based on pic that has to be the length with the shoulder stock. My eyeball estimate is that birds head grip is about 8 to 10 inches shorter than the shoulder stock. So, OAL with the birds head stock should be in the range of 29-31 inches. So it is longer than the Federal 26 inch minimum length limit.

As for a Knucklehead State, check your state laws to determine if you live in a Knucklehead State.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the barrel is 18.5 inches it isn't an issue that it comes with a stock and pistol grip. The raptor grip will meet the OAL as well. It would only be an issue if the barrel was sub-18. Mossberg has been selling 500s with a stock and pistol grip combo for decades.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I'd like to own a shock wave but I didn't know there was a stock.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifithitu:
I'd like to own a shockwave but I didn't know there was a stock.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
The 18.5 inch barrel is the key here to staying legal. It is not a Short Barrel Shotgun. You can pretty much put whatever stock or grip you want on it.

The Mossberg Shockwave and Remington TAC-14 have a 14 inch barrel. They must come from the factory configured with the birds head grip to meet the “other” specification. You can not legally put a stock (or pistol grip)on a Shockwave or a TAC-14 without getting your SBS paperwork first.

Edit to add: important to the conversation, a pistol grip and a bird’s head grip are not the same thing. Shockwave type “other weapons” are legal with the bird’s head grip. You cannot put a pistol grip on a Shockwave type weapon. It will physically fit, but in altering it in that matter you are creating a Short Barreled Shotgun. It would no longer fall into the “other” category.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sauer Kraut,

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifithitu:
I'd like to own a shock wave but I didn't know there was a stock.

Any stock for a Mossberg 590 will fit the shockwave. But as stated above you have to get the tax stamp first or you’ve just made an illegal short barrel shotgun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post