SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Expert Advice on How To Clean Your Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expert Advice on How To Clean Your Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted

Rifle expert Simeon England demonstrates the proper use of Bear Oil, Dear Tallow, water, and tow cloth to clean a rifle.

I appreciate his down to earth attitude, notice he is barefoot and uses just a piece of cloth across his knees to keep those itty-bitty parts from being lost in the grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYVS7AnUAhg

Enjoy!!!
Big Grin

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Some of those ‘natural’ products may help in a pinch, can’t help but think one would be better served by more modern lubricants.

And then we can get into specifics of cleaning when shooting anything that burns ‘black powder’. That’s never the type of firearm you can leave sit for long after shooting. Black powder itself calls for a different cleaning regimen over modern cartridge gun cleaning.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Some of those ‘natural’ products may help in a pinch, can’t help but think one would be better served by more modern lubricants.

And then we can get into specifics of cleaning when shooting anything that burns ‘black powder’. That’s never the type of firearm you can leave sit for long after shooting. Black powder itself calls for a different cleaning regimen over modern cartridge gun cleaning.

That's the main reason I have never ventured down the black powder realm. I don't even like cleaning my ARs.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

That's the main reason I have never ventured down the black powder realm. I don't even like cleaning my ARs.

Same here. I had an opportunity to fire a handful of rounds through a friends black powder Sharps, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I dislike cleaning enough that there's no way I'm buying one.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I always find it a bit odd that those guys do all that, dress like that.....then post it on a social media account, with an iPhone. Just seems a bit hokey.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
He tried posting it via telegraph but the resolution sucked.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I always find it a bit odd that those guys do all that, dress like that.....then post it on a social media account, with an iPhone. Just seems a bit hokey.

'cuz it's a challenge to post it on social media using a rotary phone... Doh!

I understand that people have different interests in the shooting sports, but I just can't get into older firearms of any kind. And definitely not black powder. More power to the folks willing to deal with historic weapons. A pre-'64 Windchester seems old to me.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve done some ‘primitive’ over the years, from black powder to now the modern substitutes. The vast majority has been gearing up for deer hunting, extended seasons, IL rules mostly.

I did have a few black powder revolvers growing up, a Navy 36 cal one of the longest. I bought it when I was to young for a real handgun, even bagged a few things with it.

Now I just about only use Blackhorn 209 powder in my Knight inline. It’s more forgiving than black with cleaning, still don’t let it sit long after shooting.

It takes a bit more fiddling to use a M-L rifle, but it stacks deer up almost as well as a single-shot 308.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Black powder has never been an interest of mine either. In this video, I am more interested in the mechanics and the internals of the design. I've never thought about how this class of firearms need to be maintained, until now.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Too funny, its just an advanced version of Gunfighter Dress up Games, where people need a baby stroller to cart around a shotgun, a rifle, and some booolets.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yeah, why would people enjoy a hobby? Those assholes.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
What a lot of people miss about black powder is the joy of tinkering. Folks that reload know the joy of going through the motions to create that perfect round. One can do the same with black powder.

Finding the right combination of components can make a black powder rifle more accurate than the sum of it's parts at reasonable distances.

It's a hoot.

Plus you can shoot all day and not blow through a thousand rounds of ammo.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
What a lot of people miss about black powder is the joy of tinkering.
Plus you can shoot all day and not blow through a thousand rounds of ammo.

Even the most intensive carbine courses don't consume 1,000 rounds in a day. But yes, if a carbine owner wants to shoot 1,000 rounds in a day, he can easily do so. For many of us, shooting 100 rounds is a good day, and that can easily occur in an our or two.

Black powder is more about futzing around between shots. That's a whole lot of futzing and not so much shooting.

What black powder users miss is the joy of actually shooting.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Even the most intensive carbine courses don't consume 1,000 rounds in a day. But yes, if a carbine owner wants to shoot 1,000 rounds in a day, he can easily do so. For many of us, shooting 100 rounds is a good day, and that can easily occur in an our or two.

Black powder is more about futzing around between shots. That's a whole lot of futzing and not so much shooting.

What black powder users miss is the joy of actually shooting.

Different strokes for different folks. It's akin to the old angler argument. As a kid I really enjoyed catching, but as an adult I think fishing is kinda cool.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Different strokes for different folks. It's akin to the old angler argument. As a kid I really enjoyed catching, but as an adult I think fishing is kinda cool.

Got it.
I started fishing as a youngster with Dad. Never really cared for it in mountain streams and lakes. In my college years we tried sea fishing for salmon and halibut -- suddenly fishing was fun. Fishing and catching. Dad and I fished in Alaska last August -- lots of action, tons of fun. The one King Salmon I caught took a long time to reel in, as it kept stripping line each time it came close to the boat. Fishing doesn't get any better than that. Well, maybe except for the real monsters (King salmon and halibut) I brought in years ago -- where fights lasted around an hour. Some of the times I just brought the big fish in for a quick picture, then let them go. Got to keep the best ones in the gene pool.

I played a bunch of sports growing up. In football I preferred quarterback over punter, although I could do both. In soccer I preferred forward over goalie. Baseball & fast-pitch softball -- pitcher or shortstop over catcher or first base. In rock climbing, leader rather than belayer. In skiing I chose the path of ski racing rather than ski patrolling. In shooting sports, it's shooter over spotter or RO.

Yep, I lean toward Type A, and have no qualms about it.