SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA MP5?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA MP5? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted
PSA teased out this photo. Excited to see it as I thought this project was dead. Curious to see where this leads...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
building an MP5 is tougher than lots of people thought. and without access to HK tooling I'm guessing will be hit or miss. But what the heck if its mint and cheap I'm in.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think they won't be cheap...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped waiting, bought my ptr 9kt last year.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
In the video below, somebody asked them about it. Apparently they were having some trouble building it at the price point that they wanted to hit, so rather than skimp on quality, they were trying to find other options to keep it on budget. Hopefully this latest teaser is an indication that they've figured it out...

https://gunnersden.com/palmetto-state-armory-mp5/

*Edited to link to article. Video is embedded in article.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Hope it turns out better than their 1911 did...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From WWII to not very long ago, stamped sheetmetal welded together was a far more cost effective method to manufacturing SMG's and rifles than machining billet or forgings. Even Sig Sauer P-Classic slides were stamped and formed to reduce cost.

The cost of a press and a stamping die is high, but once you have it, stamping out parts is incrementally cheap. But it takes a lot of know how to do - designs that account for spring back, and don't weld the die halves together, tolerances, etc.

Machining was a lot more expensive, due to the manual setup time and skilled operators to run the machines. Then things changed and modern CNC's became inexpensive enough that machining is now cheaper and easier than stamping and welding. Now AR receivers are cheap (there are other reasons too, including over supply), Sig Sauer slides are machined from stainless billet, and stampings are becoming more rare, other than small parts like trigger bars.

So, tooling up to make HK clones is going to be expensive and difficult, especially if you won't sell a whole lot of them (HK sold a ton of MP5's to Mil and LE). Probably would need to hire some old Detroit veterans with experience designing dies for stamping unibody parts, since none of the kids are going to know how to do it these days...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Theres a photo of a complete gun on their Facebook page

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Their FB says “the wait is over” and in the comments folks are saying it’ll be available in February and the MSRP is $1200. Let’s hope both are true!

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Sorry for the thread drift.
Are you happy with it, any issues?
I am seriously considering buying a preowned but unfired locally.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Sorry for the thread drift.
Are you happy with it, any issues?
I am seriously considering buying a preowned but unfired locally.

I had my ejector break at around 370 rounds, PTR replaced it. I put in an 80* locking piece to shoot it suppressed.

PTR warranties the gun well. If you shoot suppressed be sure you are using a 80* locking piece. If the locking piece does not fit your ptr bolt, you can send it to PTR and they will Fit the gun with a new bolt, locking piece and set the gap for you.

Not seen in this is the mpx sbr i took this stock off of. Both guns are a hoot to shoot. both are superb examples of awesome guns. the 9KT is softer than the mpx, but weighs a bit more. The MPX is lighter, but has more felt recoil.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Looks like it doesn't have a paddle mag release? They'll sell at $1,200, but not as well as they would have if they had a paddle mag release. That was a big complaint with the HK offerings back in the day.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
As long as it's affordable, reliable, and shoots like an MP5, I couldn't care less about the paddle mag release. I'm more concerned about the barrel length...the image above looks like a an MP5K...hopefully they offer a longer barrel as well.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will be in a minority of the HK crowd as even HK found out. But I guess if its cheap enough you can overlook anything.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I think you will be in a minority of the HK crowd as even HK found out. But I guess if its cheap enough you can overlook anything.

If MSRP really is $1200, the real question is what it would take to put a paddle on it.

A paddle and a jungle forend cannot be the $500+ it would take to jump from a PSA to a PTR.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lack of a paddle mag release wasn’t a huge issue back in the pre-ban days, and doesn’t seem to prevent people from paying good money for pre-ban HK94s. Didn’t seem to hinder people from buying the recent HK SP5K without a paddle release. Why? Because those who wanted a paddle mag release found ways to install one, and it didn’t bother those who didn’t want. My main concerns are 1) How many gens to get it running right, and 2) how proprietary is it (i.e. can you use HK lowers, trigger packs, etc)? If factory HK parts can’t be used, that will be a bigger turn off than the lack of a paddle mag release.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre ban is a whole different ball game. Adding a paddle to an SP5k was trivial in price and practice initially, but when HK buggered that up, then it seemed suddenly you could get one easily. just an observation. In any case they saw the light and new SP5's have a paddle.
But I agree with you completely if its proprietary in any meaningful way then its a non starter.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
Their FB says “the wait is over” and in the comments folks are saying it’ll be available in February and the MSRP is $1200. Let’s hope both are true!
And it’s somewhat reliable...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arfcom shot show video shows a K model WITH paddle release while the PSA guy is giving his blurb. Production by Lead Star Arms (?), though that doesn't mean anything to me.
Big items from the video are it will use hk mags, trigger by CMC and trigger pack (receiver) by Magpul. Ar style front sight post for elevation and windage on the rear sight. Apparently this is backwards from the original? I'm waiting for the SD to come along.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post