SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    224 Valkyrie Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

224 Valkyrie Question Login/Join 
posted
The 224 Valkyrie is based on the 6.8 SPC case. Does anybody know if it is possible to chamber a 6.8 SPC round in a 224 rifle (like 300 BLK & 5.56)?

I am all in for the 6.8 SPC and considering building a AR platform rifle in 224, but not if the 6.8 could be inadvertently chambered in the 224.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Generally when a cartridge is created from a parent cartridge, the shoulder is positioned in such a way as to preclude chambering the larger bored ammunition in the smaller bored chamber.

I looked around for a picture of the two side by side, and couldn't find one.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
They gave the 224 a nice long neck to hold those long bullets, I would expect the shoulder to be pushed back and blown out with less taper than what the 6.8 has, but again, I am just speculating.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
No, the Valkyrie round is necked down to 0.224 (22cal) from the 6.8’s 0.277 diameter.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
The 224 Valkyrie shoulder is pushed back slightly a few thousands. It will not be possible to chamber the 6.8 SPC round in the 224 Valkyrie chamber.

I had a chance to shoot the 224 Valkyrie this weekend in a JP rifle. Recoil was the same as a 556/223.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, you can not chamber a .277 round in a .224 barrel. It would not seat and allow the bolt to close.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OP's question isn't off the wall -- given that putting a 300blk round in a 223 rifle wasn't supposed cause a kaboom. And yet there are a few documented times where that 300blk round was somehow torched off in a 223, even though it didn't really "chamber" in the rifle.

I don't know the answer, however.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It "works" with the .233 / 300 because they're not the same case. The 300 Whateveryoucaretocallit is based on the .221 Fireball, a shorter case.

So as long as the 224V and the 6.8 are about the same length, it shouldn't be possible.

You may be able to put a 224V in a 6.8 but that will be uneventful.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would expect Federal would consider and design against accidental loading of a 6.8 round in a 224 rifle, but just wondering if it was real world possible. The rounds share magazines and bolts, so only the barrel chamber stands in the way.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you can't load a 6.8 in the .224 Valkyrie. But a .224 Valkyrie round drops right in a 6.8.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah but all that will happen is it will sound funny and you'll have a new 6.8 case that probably has a short neck. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly one year on, I still have not found where anyone has physically confirmed the fact that a 6.8 SPC round will not chamber in a 224V.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
No. It won't chamber for the reasons stated above. Since my last post, I acquired a .224 Valkyrie barrel and built mine. I tried a 6.8 round in a .224 Valkyrie Case Gauge. It doesn't fit. The 6.8 sticks out of the Valkyrie case gauge between 1/4-1/2". Not even close to chambering. Unable to show via photo on this site. But sent a photo via email.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post