SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who has a Magpul Zhukov stock on an AK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has a Magpul Zhukov stock on an AK? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Thinking about getting one for a Romy G build (on a NDS-1 receiver) that currently has an AR tube adapter.

Does the Zhukov just plug into the rear trunnion of an AKM?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Just bolts in, though it's slightly more complex than a standard AK stock, since it uses a tensioning block to ensure that it's a tight fit in a wide range of receiver tolerances.

There are a number of install tutorial videos on Youtube.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Also have one. Really like it. Rogue is spot on installation.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one too. Love it. Replace my EG side folder. Nice cheek weld. Fits nice and tight with out too much fiddling.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike748:
I have one too. Love it. Replaced my EG side folder. Nice cheek weld. Fits nice and tight with out too much fiddling.

Wow I tried to fix my grammar and ended up quoting myself. Smile

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I had been thinking of trying the Zhukov on my norinco, so I’m glad to see this thread.
It came with an AR stock and it just doesn’t seem right.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rogue, what sight mount are you running with that red dot.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ultimak

http://www.ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm

I'm a big fan. I have Ultimak forward rails on several rifles.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one on my Arsenal SLG95 ... it looks odd the way it angles down when extended but it’s parallel with the charge handle when folded. I’ve got an Ultimak but after 20 or so rounds it seems to overheat electronic optics so I got a Texas Weapons Systems top cover and its rock solid

Edited to correct, the stock does interfere when folded on this rifle, however it was originally designed for a different AK and I somehow modified it to "fit" ... Without taking it apart I can't see exactly what I did ... I think it was for a stamped receiver and this one has that slant and is milled

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I’ve got one on my Arsenal SLG95 ... it looks odd the way it angles down when extended but it’s parallel with the charge handle when folded.

Hmm... Mine doesn't angle down like that, nor do any of the ones I've handled or seen in in photos.

All the others extend fairly straight back from the rear trunion when unfolded, and are angled downward slightly when folded to allow the bolt its full travel, so you can fire the rifle with the stock folded (if so desired).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I’ve got one on my Arsenal SLG95 ... it looks odd the way it angles down when extended but it’s parallel with the charge handle when folded.

Hmm... Mine doesn't angle down like that, nor do any of the ones I've handled or seen in in photos.

All the others extend fairly straight back from the rear trunion when unfolded, and are angled downward slightly when folded to allow the bolt its full travel, so you can fire the rifle with the stock folded (if so desired).

A lot of those older milled Arsenals had slant-back receivers. Not extreme like the MAK-90 or Vepr, but still slanted.

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks.

I think I'm going to go with the Zhukov, and eventually the Texas Weapons top cover. I'll probably go with the extended Magpul hand guards, too. But not all at one time.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thanks I’ll look into those

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ultimak

Ooh! That caught my eye.
I have long struggled with trying to mount an optical sight on my ancient M1A.

The Ultimak site doesn’t do a good job of showing that mount or describing how it clamps to the barrel. Is it just setscrews that press into the barrel?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have long struggled with trying to mount an optical sight on my ancient M1A.

The Ultimak site doesn’t do a good job of showing that mount or describing how it clamps to the barrel. Is it just setscrews that press into the barrel?

No set screws. It is held to the barrel with four clamps. It results in a rock-solid mount.

Here's the best photo I could find with a quick search, although the op rod obscures the two forward barrel clamps.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is held to the barrel with four clamps. It results in a rock-solid mount.

Great!
Thanks for all that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomgun:
I had been thinking of trying the Zhukov on my norinco, so I’m glad to see this thread.
It came with an AR stock and it just doesn’t seem right.

I put one on my MAK 90. The Chinese guns have thicker receivers and I don't know if Magpul has done anything to address the issue. That stock took quite a bit of fitting to get on my rifle. There is at least one Youtube video about fitting it.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I put one on my MAK 90. The Chinese guns have thicker receivers and I don't know if Magpul has done anything to address the issue. That stock took quite a bit of fitting to get on my rifle. There is at least one Youtube video about fitting it.

Thanks for that info I’ll look into it before I buy one.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post