SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which One To Keep
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which One To Keep Login/Join 
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted
As I turn 58 in July I have decided my final keep/sell on my handguns I having a hard time with which 2 308’s. Both have there on merits the DSA Para 18 model vs IWI 308 Galil Ace. The Ace is more accurate but the FAL is a classic. Only keeping one for SHTF or deer hunting. Which one is a keeper? Any thoughts?

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm 62, and for much the same reason have been considering "thinning the herd".

If you're set on eliminating one or the other, keep the one you shoot best. After all, it's for SHTF ... and deer won't know the difference unless you miss.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not seeing why getting older should mean thinning the herd, unless it's because you just plain don't enjoy the hobby much anymore. Or need the funds. But, heck, I'm 68, retired two years ago, and I'm more into it now than ever.

I suppose when my eyesight or something gets so bad I can't enjoy the hobby anymore, like arthritis has done to one of my best friends, it'll be time to start selling them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If it's a good shooter, I'd keep the DSA.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the one you like shooting more. If you haven't shot one of them for years, that's the one to go -- you won't miss if it you aren't using it.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’d keep the Galil Ace tween the two

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no help what so ever because those two are at the top of my list on favorite rifles and ones that I have always wanted.

I am starting to think about thinning the herd and I am only 47. Do you enjoy one more than the other, or have more sentiments to one over the other?

Wow that is a hard choice?
If it was me I would take them out, run quite a few magazines through both and see which one you enjoy, re-affirm which you shoot better with etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let a young guy learn to love the right arm of the free world. Keep the ace.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering it’s a bad time to sell firearms and that either of those will not net you a whole lot of cash, I say keep both.

If you are intent on selling one, I would keep whichever you have the most spares for. If it’s truly to be your “end game” civil unrest rifle, you want spare parts to keep it running.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Random thought: shoulder each rifle, pick something to aim at, and aim each rifle at that point. Which rifle is easier to hold steady?

The theory behind the thought is this: As we get older, we lose upper body strength. We can work out, practice, etc., but that's where age takes its toll. Whichever rifle requires less physical effort to 'correct', that is, to hold steadily on target, may be the rifle that serves us best as we age.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions I think im gonna sale thr FAL Para

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post