SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scopes and corrective lenses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes and corrective lenses Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Do you guys with glasses use them with scopes? Or do you use standard eye pro and let the scope correct your vision.

I usually set my diopter with my prescription shouting glasses on but I notice the Vortex Razor is much more clear without corrective lenses. So, what do you do?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I always wear my glasses even with optics.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I’m getting a little fishbowl with my glasses. Pretty clear without. Only on the Vortex. Diopter adjustment doesn’t do anything to this.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my glasses when shooting. I have hard plastic lens, so they also function (sorta kinda) as minor "safety" glasses. Especially with suppressed ARs, I get a few bits of stuff flying back onto the glasses.

My vision is bad -- minus diopters, really near sighted, and a touch of astigmatism. I have no-line progressive lenses, which is the kind term for trifocals. There's no way I'd shoot without corrective glasses.

The near focus portion at the bottom of the lens allows me to read dope cards, which I keep on my wrist card or on a sidewinder. The sidewinder is attached at the middle of the scope and is extended low -- below the rifle's chassis/stock.

With glasses on, I can easily raise my head above the scope to see where I need to point the gun for the next target. This is absolutely important for precision matches such as the Steel Safari, Competition Dynamics Team Challenge, and Battle of Breakneck. It's often faster to re-point the gun with the naked eye, as the side-to-side distances between targets can be hundreds of yards. Often we visually key off a large landscape feature, knowing the targets will be roughly in line with that landscape reference point.

My vision is correct well enough with glasses that the neutral setting in most scopes works for me.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ok so the vortex Razor HD I just got is kind of giving me a bit of a problem. Without my glasses, it’s clear as a bell. As good as anything else I’ve seen. Problem is, with my glasses on, to bring the reticle clear with the focus, it’s zoomed to about 1.25 and has a fishbowl effect. To lose this, I also lose the subtens of the reticle. It’s close to 1:1 but without the subtens.
Anybody else have this issue?

TCB all the time...

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Have you adjusted the eyepiece?

Vortex calls it the "Fast Focus Eyepiece --> Allows quick and easy reticle focusing."

It should be able to correct this, although it will likely vary between glasses on / off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Have you adjusted the eyepiece?

Vortex calls it the "Fast Focus Eyepiece --> Allows quick and easy reticle focusing."

It should be able to correct this, although it will likely vary between glasses on / off.

Yeah. That’s what I’m monkeying around with. I’m gonna leave it alone til I can get it to the range and play with it.

TCB all the time...

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I use Randolph Rx shooting glasses so I focus with the glasses on.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ok. So not at the range but off my deck looking in to the woods.

Dominant left eye. Eye has corrective lens
Non dominant right eye needs very little correction.

With left eye with glasses on (both pair). To see the subtens clearly, it is about 1.25x and fishbowl. I can focus it to close to 1x and flat, but lose the subtens.

Without glasses, I can focus it really well. Clear subtens, flat and clear. 1x

With my right eye I can get it flat and clear, clear subtens, 1x with or without my glasses.

I think I got a funky prescription for my left eye that does it. It’s flat and clear 1x with everything else.

TCB all the time...

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ok. So I found out that the distortion and barreling is caused by my glasses being rounded where I looked through the optic. I found an older set of prescription lenses (they won’t stay in the frame so I gotta get that resolved), that are different shape. Nowhere as rounded as my others.

The vertical reticle is now straight. I’m either going to get these reframed or take the scope for another set to make sure it’s right. It’s still not close to 1x adjusted to wher I need it but that’s ok I guess.

I found my other scopes did the same thing, it’s just that the fov is smaller so I never noticed til I looked for it. The Razor Fov is so huge, that’s why I noticed it so much.

I hope to wring it out this weekend. It’s like looking at HD tv vs regular tv.

TCB all the time...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wear my glasses.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I wear my glasses.

So do I but they have poly carbonate lenses.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
When I use optics that magnify I do not wear prescription lenses. I use the focus ring to adjust.

For red dots I use my prescription glasses.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post