SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 Under Bed Storage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Under Bed Storage Login/Join 
Picture of bonfire
posted
The recent shooting incident got me thinking about keeping my AR a little bit closed to me and more accessible. I have a 3 year old and need to safely secure the rifle but still have it at hand when needed. Does anyone use something like this? I really don't want one with batteries.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com...DD_tICFYhsfgod_TAO-g

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer mechanical simplex locks to electronic ones, but it looks ok.

Do you have a closet nearby that you could secure it in? above the door or somewhere the kiddo can't reach?

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have this one.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/dv652/

It has batteries.

I like it, it has a drawer inside that pulls out. An AR or shotgun or whatever fits just fine, although the drawer takes up some of the height of the safe, so you can't put anything particularly thick in there. (e.g., the non-collapsing charging handle sticking out of the side of my Tavor made it not fit. I since have put in a folding charging handle and now it will fit.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I really don't want electronic but in my research that is looking like the only option.

Do you have a closet nearby that you could secure it in? above the door or somewhere the kiddo can't reach?

We do have a closet but the way the main shelf is mounted it is even hard for me to reach at 6'1. I would have to gut the closet and start from scratch. Wife will not let me bolt it to the floor. I even looked at the secure wall mount ones but that was also denied.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/V-Line-...2-Inch/dp/B000T2A6BW

You'd have to pull it all the way out, but it has the simplex lock that I prefer.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Got a dog or an alarm system and a closet. Get a cheap locker made for guns or not. Put it in the closet close to you, run a key lock on it and the kids can't get in. The dog or the alarm wakes you up and the key lets you in and the S#$% hits the fan. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Tactical Walls makes some pretty cool products...shelves, mirrors and now even tables...maybe something will fit your needs? I've used various products they make and have been 100% satisfied.
https://tacticalwalls.com/shop/

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, check out the Secure-it "Falcon" model. It is made to be under-bed mounted. I have had one for 2+years and it works well. I don't know how the "Harrier" is different or how well it would be under the bed.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Snake207-Reviews show that if you have an optic you can only fit it with a 20 round magazine. Can you confirm this?

I have a Primary Arms Red Dot mounted on the Daniel Defense mount.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
https://www.secureitgunstorage...ng/hidden-gun-safes/

I emailed them about a simplex lock version but there were some technical hurdles and not enough combinations for their liking.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the prices and products you're looking at, why not just get an under bed storage system and put a lock on it? I think you can come up with a wooden storage unit with a long access door and just slap a lock on. The stuff you're looking at isn't exactly a safe, it's more like an access denial box.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Stack-O...abinet/dp/B002TOKR6W

I know it's not under the bed, but I went through the same exercise a few years ago and have had good luck with this model.

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I have this one.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/dv652/

It has batteries.

I like it, it has a drawer inside that pulls out. An AR or shotgun or whatever fits just fine, although the drawer takes up some of the height of the safe, so you can't put anything particularly thick in there. (e.g., the non-collapsing charging handle sticking out of the side of my Tavor made it not fit. I since have put in a folding charging handle and now it will fit.)

I also have two of these. The batteries seem to drain quickly... I think the simplex lock would be better.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My own experience:

I have one of the SecureIt 47 boxes; works okay but it's been far from perfect. The locking mechanism on my unit was initially sticky and would not latch completely. I took some Blaster dry lube and worked the latching knob for several minutes to loosen it up. It's been several months since and so far none of that mechanism stickiness has returned, so now it appears to be mechanically fine. But it wasn't the best introduction to experience with something I'm supposed to trust and rely upon to work correctly.

I also encountered operational problems with the location of their code reset button on the back side of the door. Poorly placed and too easy to bump, they should have tried to locate towards either end of the door and not in the middle third. Or at least they could have made some sort of cover guard, though that likely would be tall enough to get in the way of smoothly retrieving a long gun out of the unit. At least twice in the time that I've owned the box I've managed to reset the code inadvertently, probably as I was moving a gun in or out and (apparently) unintentionally setting the firearm down on top of the exposed reset button for enough time to cause the existing code to go bu-bye.

Perhaps another time where I had the grip of my MPX too close to the back of the door and alongside that button. Rude awakening when punching in the code and the release knob won't activate and further button pushing only gives a 'wrong code' red LED warning. So now I'm forced to keep one of the keys (two come with the box) nearby in case it happens again.

I felt guilty drilling into the old original hardwood flooring but as it is it's not going to be moved out of its resting spot very easily. I was fortunate that a couple of the lag bolts went into framing.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the shotlocks for my AR and my Mossberg. They are simplex, and work very well.
Shotlock

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Hornady RAPiD “AR Gun Locker” and thus far am happy with it for its price and what it’s intended to do.

I have long been very skeptical of a safe of any sort with an electronic lock, and would not have one on a primary safe. This one, however, uses not only batteries, but also AC power and is equipped with a decent tubular key lock that opens the safe even if no power is available. The electrically operated systems consist of both a touch pad that can be programmed with up to six numbers (digits 1-4) and an RFID system. The RFID tags that the safe is programmed to read and open the door with are supplied in a key fob, a wrist band, and a couple of adhesive tags that can be attached to other items such as a phone. I imagine some people might wear the wrist band at night so there’s no issue with trying to find it when coming out of a sound sleep.

The safe comes with heavy foam spacers to hold guns in place, but removing them was the first thing I did. It’s large enough inside to easily hold an AR with 16 inch barrel and 30 round magazine inserted. It’s billed as being suitable for “tactical” (i.e., shorter) guns, but I can fit a Benelli M1 Super 90 with 20" barrel if placed at a bit of diagonal angle. It would probably be possible to stuff in three ARs or similar rifles if they were protected by very thin cases (the Benelli is in a Bore Store sock) or if someone didn’t care about their finishes. With the two long guns I have in the safe there’s still room for a handgun or two.

A bit of extra security is provided by a cable that can be attached to the safe and something solid.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Shotlock's AR Solo-Vault has a Simplex lock, works with scoped ARs, works with 30 rd magazines, and can be mounted pretty much anywhere.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23219 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'd send forum member Archange1 an e-mail to see if he could design something for you. Link to his current add. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2570002224

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post