SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    First time out in a long time with the Savage 110 long action in 308
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time out in a long time with the Savage 110 long action in 308 Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I went out to the range this weekend and finally moved my Leupold MK4 ER/T scope from my precision M14 to my Savage 110 flat-back long action in 308 bedded into a McMillan HTG stock.

Here I am with my son. Wes had his GA precision Remington 700 and the other is a Remington 700 M40A1 clone. At the end of the day we were all shooting about the same with our handloads.

After getting my scope dialed in with ball ammo, I moved on to some small dots at 100 yards and ran one three round group with some 168 grain handloads and made some scope adjustments.
The three shot group was 0.567"

I then ran a 5-shot group and it measured 0.945"

My son had a leftover Florida state school project from last school year and we set it out at 100 yards and picked things off it to shoot. I decided to see if I could get a head shot on Juan Ponce DeLeon. I shot his hat off twice and put one through the CNS.

After that, I went gator hunting and grazed the head once and put one through the eyeball. I was aiming for the eyeball both times.

This is probably the most time I've spent with this rifle. My 10 year-old son used it to shoot the steel 12" gong out at 200 yards with ease.

I bedded this 2 years ago. I may have to revisit it and also try some 175 grain loads to see if I can tighten the groups up. For now it's at least sub-MOA.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I have an FCP 10 24" that is looking for a good load. I know this rifle can break sub 1/2 MOA. As soon as I am finished developing a load for my 6.5, it's 308 Pill time!

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Great shooting with your rifle. I didn't see what you were using for ammo, so can't comment on it. From the looks of it it's doing very good.

Phil is complaining that we are turning him into a "bolt gun guy". Mia Culpa...;-)

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have an older 110 in 30-06, cost $200. After some stock issues were corrected it’s just fine.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post