SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best platform for a suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best platform for a suppressor Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Are bolt action rifles best for supressors? What about those break barrel handi rifles? Are they quiet? How do they compare to semi autos?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bolt actions are great for suppressors. They will be the quietest type of action.

Semi autos work well, too. They won't be louder than a bolt gun, as some noise makes it out the action.

I don't care for the handi rifles.

Caliber? Desired use?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I am with fritz on this,handi 's have one thing going,cheep price and heavy as hell.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Semi autos work well, too. They won't be louder than a bolt gun, as some noise makes it out the action.

I think you mean "will be." Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger American rimfire that is "movie quiet" with sub sonic ammo. I have sot a handi-rifle in 357 that was VERY quiet as well.
Like fritz said, a semi will normally be louder since some noise "leaks" out of the action.
That being said, I consider all my semi .22LRs hearing safe with a suppressor (rifles and pistols). My 300blk AR is also hearing safe with subsonic ammo.

Lever actions suppress pretty well, also.
Basically, anything that keeps the action closed until everything is over will be quieter.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I think you mean "will be." Smile

Ruh-roh. The brain needs to be put in gear before the fingers start driving. Gotta start the caffeine earlier in the morning.

Yep, semi-autos are louder than bolt guns.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
LOL

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fritz. Shooting my AR's suppressed isn't what I would consider quiet. It borders on being hearing safe and I wouldn't want a steady diet of it. My bolt guns are a different story entirely. I can shoot them all day long without hearing protection with no ill effects. Of the three suppressors I own, shooting the 22 LR on both pistol and rifle is the most fun.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a bunch of experimenting, I really only suppress 3 things anymore. 1) Precision rifles, 2) subsonic rounds and 3) the bump-in-the-night Tavor I keep handy. The rest aren't really worth the effort to me.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For maximum efficiency, you want an action that will not unlock by itself. Basically you want 100% of the expanding gas to go through the suppressor.

When a semi-automatic, or fully-automatic action unlocks, some of the gas comes out of the action of the rifle.

I have a straight pull bolt action .22lr PWS Summit that I shoot in combination with a Silencerco Warlock II. It is invariably everyone's favorite gun to shoot, even when I bring suppressed ARs, pistols, and even other bolt actions. With subsonic ammunition it's quieter than the staple gun I use to put up paper targets.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
heavy as hell.

Confused

While not a Handi Rifle fan, I've shot a number of them and too light was the only problem, not too heavy.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Not a sinle shot unless you are going for short as possible as the action length goes away. The ruger American ranch in 300 black out is stupid quiet. It is also under $340 if you shop around. Magpul is releasing their hunter stock for the Ruger American so the shitty stock is not going to be an issue.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another nice thing about a bolt gun is you won't need to worry about weapon cycling / function like a semi - granted it isn't hard to figure out / tweak a semi for suppressed shooting, but still you typically have to go with an adjustable gas block or play with buffer / springs to get it "just right".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post