SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need suggestions on a 24" AR for PD's.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions on a 24" AR for PD's. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Talked to a buddy yesterday wanting an accurate, longer barreled AR in .223 for prairie dogs and coyotes. Wants accuracy out to 400 yds.

I'm a short barreled AR guy...all I know. I have experience with accurate bolt guns, but my AR knowledge is with 16" light weight guns. My LWRC is accurate but he wants a long barrel.

I know Remington makes a varmint AR.

What's out there with a 24" or longer barrel, heavy barrel?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Budget?

There is a Sig M400 Predator in the classifieds that looks like a good one, 18” though.

http://www.predatortechnologygroup.com Seem to get good reviews.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The two I know of right off the bat. I'm sure there are others. I would go with at least a heavy barrel contour.

I currently have a 24" PSA but it is more a A2 style contour (thin under hand guards). Not enough meat for real varmint accurcy after the barrel starts to heat up. Works OK for coyotes but not enough for prairie dogs. Smaller targets more frequent shots.

Compass Lake Engineering offers AR varmint uppers with up to 26" barrels.

Rock River Arms offers AR 24" varmint rifles complete or just uppers

http://www.compasslake.com/ind...h=25&products_id=136

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...A29C4A4E905B.cfusion

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White Oak Armament has some very accurate 24 and 26 inch uppers in .223.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.c.../varmint-uppers.html

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are going to have to ping the long range guys on this one.

If you don't mind my asking, why 24" for 400 yards?

Stag offers 24" stainless steel barrels.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As noted above, Compass Lake and White Oak make very accurate uppers, and rifles. The uppers and rifles from Wilson Combat will be very close to these two in accuracy. The Larue rifles that I've shot will be in the same league.

Building your own AR is option. A quality receiver set, a decent BCG, crisp trigger break, and a first rate barrel. My Krieger AR barrels produce outstanding accuracy.

IMO "out to 400 yards" means a bunch of 200-350 yard shots. A 24" barrel isn't necessary for good AR ballistics out to 400 yards. Sure, the additional barrel length will produce some additional MV, thereby decreasing drop and drift. My 20" Krieger shoots only slightly slower than my 24" (can't recall the barrel manufacturer now), with the ballistics difference in the 300-400 yard ballpark being immaterial.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The requirements are NOT mine. They are my Buddies. He has deep pockets, and wants....What he wants. He wants something with a 24-26 inch heavy barrel, with good accuracy.

Thanks for the information so far....I'll get on the sites and see what they offer.

Tried to talk him into an 18 or 20 inch DMR type with a good trigger. But he wants a long barrel, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They stock Kreiger, Bartlien barrels. They are very easy to work with. Send them some stuff, upper/lower....or send them nothing and build on their stuff.

Lots of guys around me have JP AR's, all very accurate.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have your pal look at uppers and assembled rifles -- very few will have barrels over 20" or 22". There's a reason for that.

I have AR-15 uppers with barrel lengths of 12, 14.5, 16, 18, 20, and 24. And an AR-10 at 26". The 18" and 20" AR-15 uppers are for competition, and have the capabilities of chipmunk-sized targets, not just prairie dogs.

I've shot with those who value their own financial wealth over the experience-related wealth of others. Best of luck.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

They stock Kreiger, Bartlien barrels. They are very easy to work with. Send them some stuff, upper/lower....or send them nothing and build on their stuff.

Lots of guys around me have JP AR's, all very accurate.

Thanks Offgrid/Fritz.

I think that will be a good option for him. He can opt for whatever he wishes.

FN

posted Hide Post
I'll recommend a Rock River Varminter.

Until it was stolen, I owned a 24" RRA Varminter with the Elevated Optical Platform (EOP) in 1-12" twist. I got it specifically for shooting my favorite varmint handload, and it would easily do 3 shots under half MOA and keep 10 shots in an inch. The 24-inch barrel allowed every bit of velocity out of the load. The only option I got (other than the EOP) was the ACE skeleton stock. The standard RRA triggers are good. I miss that rifle...

I'll edit to add that they are now available with a 1-8" twist if your friend wants to go to heavier bullets, which probably isn't necessary for his stated needs/goals.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a home built upper featuring a Gibbz Arms Side Charging G4 upper with the enlarged ejection port. Add a 24 inch Shilen barrel in 223 Wylde to that and he will have a rifle that is as accurate as can be in a semi.

BTW this statement is based on my own home build featuring the Gibbz G4 and a 20 inch Shilen barrel in 223 Wylde with 1:8 rifling. In my case I am seeing sub 3/10 at 100 yards for 3 shot groups using front and rear rests. BTW, the two loads producing this accuracy featured a 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and a 68 grain Hornady BTHP Match. For 400 yards loads about the only viable option I see is a 77 grain or heavier bullet and it will take a bit of testing to determine a length that fits within a magazine and feeds well in his rifle. I will also note that for optimum accuracy he should he planning on working up his own loads and I will say based on my experience that Varget is the most accurate rifle powder I've used in 223.

BTW, my recommendation should provide for at least 450 yards of supersonic with even moderate powder charges but maintaining that potential requires the use of longer ballistically efficient bullets. Meaning 77 grain or even heavier bullets which may reduce case capacity for powder.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a brand new/unfired 24" Stainless Steel bull barreled .223 by DPMS. Has free float front end, and std lower and A2 stock. I was going to put it up for sale soon. I don't believe they make these any more. I had another a few yrs ago and it would shoot very very small groups at 100 yds. Email me at clawsonbob928 at gmail dot com if you want pics or more info. I will make him a hard to beat deal as well......I have waaaay too many long guns.

Posts: 205 | Location: United States | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Colt CR6724 fits the bill. 1 in 9 twist for lightweight varmint bullets.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post